Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hurricane Sandy Aftermath & Halloween

We got through the hurricane just fine. As I predicted here there wasn't much beyond a couple of days of rain and some wind gusts. Nothing worth worrying about much less stockpiling ten jugs of water and all the canned food at the store. But it was good that most everyone in town stayed home. Jim worked from home and I cooked. Boy, did I cook!

Cooking has always been a great stress reliever for me. We had sort of an early impromptu Thanksgiving dinner with turkey breast and all the trimmings. I baked pumpkin bars and banana bread. We read, watched movies and took naps. Almost like a mini vacation!

But the people of New York and New Jersey, places unused to hurricanes, took the brunt of the damage. It gives me flashbacks of the awful week after Hurricane Katrina. I hope and pray that FEMA and the powers that be do a much better job helping the citizens return, rehab and recovery than they did in New Orleans after Katrina.

Returning to New Orleans three months after Katrina was one of the most disturbing things I've experienced, mile after mile of ruined homes, clean up debris piled 50 feet high on the center of the boulevards near City Park. The hush of reduced traffic and the lack of any functioning traffic lights made New Orleans eerily quiet and still, like the corpse of a city.

After having lost all I owned in a few hurricanes in Louisiana I have a good idea what the people of NY/NJ face. It's going to be a long heartbreaking backbreaking time before things start to feel normal again. One of the few things I could do for the people of that area is that I've signed up to be a foster home for some of the exotic birds that have been found with no way to trace their owners.

This morning I struggled to write a piece for NLQ that linked together a variety of links having to do with Pro Choice, abortion rights and contraception. It was probably one of the hardest things I've had to do because I know that it's going to bring about some rather rude debate in the comments at some point. It's really one of the first times we've had any discussion of abortion at all on the site. For a long time we tiptoed around the subject but in light of the political battles going on this last week before the elections it's time we looked at what it will really take to bring down abortion rates. I have to say I am very disappointed that no one has commented on the article at all yet.

Tonight we had a very quiet Halloween. Very few kids. I'd bought the usual amount of candy I always have but I have 3/4s of it left. I'm sending most of it up to Laura for her and her roommates to eat. I guess the weather and returning to normal after Hurricane Sandy put a damper on the trick or treating.

Tomorrow is going to be a tough day. It's the first day of Nanowrimo, which I participate in every year. Nano is a good distraction for what November First represents to me. It's All Saints Day and every year till I was a grown adult it would be the time my father and I visited the family graves to clean them and lay fresh flowers. It's days like All Saints where I miss my father so much that my heart aches. All Saints is an old New Orleans tradition and one I'm sad to say has died away, a remnant of a kinder gentler time.

No comments: