Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Tears and Blood

Today I woke up to the news that someone Jim and I knew very well had died this morning in a car wreck. The go-go world of Northern Va/DC seems to be plagued by people who run red lights, stop signs and speed up instead of slowing down at yellow lights. I don't know all the details yet, just that he was near Leesburg, where my eldest daughter lives, had a car wreck, was sent to the hospital and we were all emailed he was in stable condition. A few minutes later we were all emailed that he had passed on.

This floored me, even thought it shouldn't. Life is fragile and you never know exactly what's around the next bend. Life is change and sometimes that change it death.

This man's name is Don and he was someone that joined the church like two years ago maybe, or was it three? He leaves behind a wife, kids and grand kids, family was very important to him. He was always very kind and friendly to me at church, even if we didn't have a lot in common. I liked Don and counted him among my friends.

After a great deal of prayer and a morning spent totally immersed in worship music this afternoon I decided the best way I could honor Don's memory was by taking good care of my family. So I cleaned and did laundry before making a big batch of yogurt, granola and special oatmeal soap for Andy's itchy skin.

Tonight I'm wiped out and I'm not looking forward to the next few days. Funerals are something I dread, usually because at our church I have to hold myself together and be one of the Stephen Ministers available to pray for anyone that wants it during the funeral. Plus I'm sure I'll be asked to help out with the post reception food. But I guess it's better to be occupied than it is to be mourning non-stop.

Sad situation. I hope he had life insurance for the sake of his family.

No comments: