Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Cabbages and King Cakes

There have been no blog postings because I've been busier than that proverbial one-legged man at the ass-kicking contest. Work, Jim, NLQ, kids, church, you-name-it.

This is the first year in many that we didn't do anything more than eat King Cake to celebrate Mardi Gras. Usually we invite friends over and have a party the Saturday before with all the Cajun food and beads you can stand. Not this year.

I was really missing my father hard this Mardi Gras and it wasn't helped by the fact that my niece who works as a cameraman at a station in New Orleans kept posting videos from the Endymion, Bacchus and Zulu parades.

Of all the holidays my over the top father loved Mardi Gras was the pinnacle with Halloween running a close second. Every year for many years he had his beloved hotel suite on the main parade routes in the French Quarter. When he died back in 1999 one of the first things after the funeral that happened was the hotel offered the suite to my husband and myself. They thought perhaps we'd continue the tradition. No.

From all my childhood years I have many wonderful memories of my dad at Mardi Gras and I'm no partier.

I  really missed him this year.

Not much else going on, just the daily grind of work, home and life. This weekend I was busy issuing a big old "Up Yours" to winter by getting all of my garden and flower beds ready for spring. I planted all the bulbs for a beautiful front flower garden, pink peonies, lavender dahlias, fuchsia calla lillies and some purple feathery things the name of escapes me now. When it warms up I'll add blue forgetmenots, something white and some zinnias.

Put in all the cold weather hardy vegetables too, so many cabbages it's ridiculous.

It's warm today but tomorrow the temps fall and we get the frozen stuff again. The cabbages and leeks should be fine but damn, I am so sick of winter right now.

 


No comments: