Friday, August 07, 2015

Next Time A Hotel

I hate to admit it, but I'm something of a snob. A movie snob, a television snob, a food snob.

This only usually becomes a problem when traveling, or when Tom Smith was haranguing me about my tastes back during my old church days. He once wrote me a long ranty email about how I was an evil bitch for liking more independent films and non-chain restaurant.

"Game of Thrones" - awesome. "Friends" - not my cup of tea. It's not that either is a better or worse choice than the other, they are just so fundamentally different. And that's okay. It's all a matter of personal choice.

One of the other things about coming out of fundamentalism is that I have no use for playing 'nice' over culture any longer. I have no patience for things I consider to be banal or a waste of time. Where once I would sit quietly and watch a movie I didn't like for the sake of not offending the other person I don't do that any longer. I don't make a sense about it, I just leave the watchers to it and go do something else entirely. Life is too short to sit through things you don't like when you could do something else.

We're staying with Jim's high school buddy and his wife. Tonight they wanted to watch a movie and I have to admit I was rolling my eyes at the list of stuff they like. "Twilight"? Oh please no. "The Hunger Games"? No thanks... and a long list of other over hyped films that Hollywood promotes and releases that just have never appealed to me. Which is why I'm bitching on this computer instead of watching a film....

I think next time we're going to have to stay at a hotel, a hotel where I can easily bow out of watching a film, or don't have to wait for the lone bathroom to be unoccupied. They are nice people and I've known them for years and years and years, it's just I'm getting too old, too cranky and too filled with back pain from sleeping on an old twin bed mattress to feel very accommodating right now. Ready to go home.

No comments: