Sunday, September 06, 2015

The HOA Ate My Brain Once Again

We're dealing with a new HOA mess. Folks, if you can avoid moving into a community with a Home Owners Association please do so!

Ancient history. About ten years ago these two people took over our HOA as president and treasurer and have royally fucked things up. The president by sheer incompetence, but he did try to resolve some of the community problems after some of us started poking him with a legal stick to try to get action on the many legal issues we residents might be on the hook for.

The treasurer is just a nasty, nasty woman. She has refused to show anyone the books for almost ten years now. If you asked you get cussed out. She takes two to three months to cash a check for the dues. She monopolizes the clubhouse and pool use. Most everyone here hates her guts. It is very suspicious that she's been so secretive about the books.

By the time the president decided to try and straighten out the roiling rolling mess that our community has turned into most everyone has stopped paying dues, leaving no money for pool maintenance or to maintain the green swards of open grass, the playgrounds and common areas. Local attorneys have been advising most of the homeowners here not to pay.

A couple of weeks ago the president called me out of the blue after months of not hearing from him and asked if I would back him if he turned the entire HOA running to a management company. I sit on the board, so I had to be one of the people to sign off on it. I told him, sure, please do that, because it's what I suggested we do four years ago, let someone else run it that does not live here so that they cannot be accused of favoritism like some on the board have been charged with. I heard nothing else.

It was kind of sneaky because no one on the board consulted the treasurer at all. It was presented to her fait accompli. Predictably she's since had a huge explosion and cussed out many people on the board. She's also refused to give over the financials to the management company. But we all knew this was likely to happen since she has made everything to do with running the HOA so dramatic and filled with threats and cursing. No way was anyone going to give her any say in this decision.

A week ago Jim and I got a letter from the management company now handling all the dues collections, state compliance, bill paying, maintenance and architectural oversight. The letter simply stated that they had taken over and here was the info on paying the dues. Simple and to the point.

Yesterday the president came to our front door and showed us a letter that one of the furious residents had put in his mailbox saying he was going to sue the treasurer and the president for turning the HOA over to a management company. He was frantic for me to send out a community wide email saying the treasurer had nothing to do with the decision to hire the management company and that it was his decision alone.

I did it and put up an explanation of what was going on with bringing in the management company. So far I've not received this lawsuit letter addressed to me, but I anticipate it coming since I'm on the board and three members have received it already.

This is all sorts of silly and disgusting because the people now complaining that everything is now going to be legally and properly done don't even bother showing up for HOA meetings and have never volunteered once to help out with the many things that need to happen here. We're have maintenance and work crew parties to repair the fences around the community, paint the club house, deal with the landscaping issues and no participation from anyone in the community but the board members. We're the 5%ers here apparently.

The last place I saw a pile of adults acting this childish was at my old church. Le sigh. I guess as long as the treasurer doesn't show up on my doorstep and I have no more meetings to attend it's all good.

No comments: