Monday, January 18, 2016

Mourning Again

After a late bedtime after Andy stopped by the house for a visit I got up late. Pedro actually graciously allowed me to sleep in till after 8 am.

But I was just working on that first cup of coffee when I found out two things that almost made me drop that first cup of hot reviving coffee. First my friend who's sister was mia in Oz announced that the police had found her sister's body. They arrested the killer too. I feel so horrible for my friend and wish there was something more I could do simply listen to her. I wished I lived near her because I'd be at her house, cooking, cleaning, doing whatever she needed. Alas I'm on the other side of the world and my heart breaks for her loss.

The other news was both good and bad. Dale 'Buffin' Griffin, of Mott the Hoople died last night in his sleep. The good is that he's in a place beyond pain, hurt and the illnesses he's suffered. The last few years he's been in a nursing home because his Alzheimers got too bad for him to stay at home with his partner. He's suffered and it's been miserable on so many levels from what his family has said.

But it still made me cry, at least just a bit. Mott the Hoople was one of my favorite all time bands. I saw them more than once,  hitchhiking up to some of their gigs on their 1974 tour. I met him briefly after one of the gigs and he was a gracious polite guy to a beyond thrilled teenager that was me in those days. I followed the careers post-MtH of all the guys, buying the albums of the various musical projects and incarnations of Mott the Hoople. Godspeed and rest in peace Dale.

Another piece of the strange trip that was my teenaged years now gone.

I wasn't a big Eagles fan but the passing of Glen Frey this afternoon didn't make me any happier. Why are all these guys dropping dead? Timing and age sucks.

2016 is rapidly shaping up to be one of the suckiest years I've lived through...

No comments: