Wednesday, March 16, 2016

It's Spring!

Today was an emotionally difficult day. I was interviewed by a journalist for quite a stretch and really touched upon some deep emotional wounds I still have from joining our old church. Most of the triggering memories involved the serious illness of my youngest child and my desperate bargaining with God to spare her life. Difficult times.

What wasn't a difficult memory is something I witnessed this morning when I went out to my car, a couple of birds flapping around together on the lawn.

When Laura was around 7 and Andy 10 years old we were going shopping one bright spring afternoon. As we pulled into the shopping center parking lot we could see a bird flapping around, like maybe it was injured. 'Mommy, let's help the bird, it's hurt!' Laura said so we drove up to the bird.

Just as we got close I could see the bird wasn't injured. It was two birds and they were doing that thing that most wild critters do every spring, they were going at it hammer and tongs, not caring that they were madly screwing in front of everyone in the Safeway parking lot.

That was one of those times in my mothering of the kids that I had to bite my tongue to keep from braying with laughter when the kids also realized what the birds were doing. I heard chorus of 'Ewww!' and 'Gross!' from the back seat of the car.

Yes, it's that time of year again, wild animals copulating everywhere..


No comments: