Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Re-Revisiting Women As Apples

We're having some crazy weather this week here in the beautiful Virginia Piedmont. Just as my mini-orchard of apple trees started blooming out in glorious shades of pink we're gone from sunny and warm to colder Elsa's touch and quite windy.

Very late on Saturday night I found myself outside, clutching a flashlight and chasing down my heavy lawn furniture as high winds tried to send it to the next county or down to the banks of the Potomac. All this in the dark with the winds whipping down a rain of apple tree blossom petals everywhere.

Between that, yesterday's high winds and waking up this morning to below freezing temps and swirling snow showers upon my apple trees I could not help thinking again about Vaughn Ohlman and his pal and their talking about women as apples. My poor trees trying to hang onto their vastly reduced numbers of apple blooms.

This is another one of those reasons that women are not like apples. I'm experiencing one of the pitfalls of apple farming in this area, the unpredictable nature of Spring weather, which no one has any control of. Hell, weather forecasters don't have much of a clue, it's all luck and timing. So much of life boils down to luck and timing. Fathers and apple farmers have no control over luck and timing...

1 comment:

Vaughn Ohlman said...

>>This is another one of those reasons that women are not like apples.
>>Fathers and apple farmers have no control over luck and timing...

Not sure I follow you here. From the statement in the last sentence the first sentence should seem to read 'This is another one of of those reasons why women are like apples...