Thursday, July 14, 2016

Waffles and Pussy (Cats)

The title is in reference to a line some critics got after a film maker for using in a cheesy exploitation horror film my former favorite actor has a big role in that is in the theaters now. The critics don't get the phrase and argument is lifted straight out of another better film in homage. Such is much of life. No one really understands you or your motives.

We've started a new planning phase these last month. Serious planning.

Are you ready for my big news? We're putting together plans to build, own and operate a bed and breakfast when we get to Costa Rica this fall or winter.

It's doable on many levels. Land is cheap, construction costs are low and people work for an average of two bucks an hour. All that means that I merely have to answer phones, take reservations and oversee the maid and cook. Jim actually came up with the idea and I think it's a great one.

There is one problem I foresee. It will likely poke a stick into the mad hornet ball of my narcissistic sister in law in Texas. She'll be mightily pissed and likely jealous. When she married my bro in law she told him she couldn't work because she wanted to fulfill her lifelong dream of having a bed and breakfast.

So they build, first a garage with a two bedroom apartment, followed by a large home, followed by a large opulent building to use at the bed and breakfast. I don't know for sure what happened. What I do know is that she spent my bro in laws money to build and furnish the place before changing her mind. Now the bro in law uses it for his freelance office. All that moolah just down the damn drain.

Neurotic is as neurotic does. I don't like to poke that hornet's nest, but this has nothing to do with her. She's going to make it all about her when we do. Stay tuned.

I still think she shows all the signs of raving narcissism. My therapy agrees. Somehow I don't think she would have been emotionally capable of dealing with the unwashed masses very well. I know I will because I've worked with the public in a number of jobs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two quite stressful things have happened recently. Last week we went into the big city to help our youngest daughter a car. The daughter that works at a university while working on her organizational business management Masters degree.

We knew this was going to be stressful. We've either paid for a car for the other two kids or paid a down payment, so we've been aware for a long time now that the day was coming when we'd have to do the same for her. The last gasp of outlay of money (hopefully) in the road to adulting for our baby.

Now Jim is a tightwad. I knew this was going to be a major battle because of that fact. Also when he's been involved in car buying in the past he likes to take a long long time to visit all the dealerships before committing. I'm immune to getting ripped off at the dealerships and manage to get good deals, but then again I've sold new cars for serious stretches when I could not get any job I wanted.

But I have to give my daughter credit. She did all her research for months on end, driven a few cars and gotten a hefty pre-approval check from her bank. She was ready to go.

After a quick visit and a handful of test drives she was ready to buy. I sat back while she negotiated a pretty decent deal at what seemed like one of the better dealerships. Turned out the sales manager and I know a lot of people in common in the industry and we spent a fun half hour talking about sales and sales folks.

He wanted to know why I fled car sales 13 years ago after a 6 month stint here locally and I told him about the unrelenting boys club antics I was subjected to daily, a rout manual for misogynists nationwide. Little things that coming to my desk and finding the contents of my drawers scattered around the room, my coat always being flung from the coat rack and stepped on by chortling manly males. Petty punishments like being sent to McDonalds to buy breakfast for everyone at the mandatory meeting and having the sales manager dole out the grub and tell you there's nothing for you. I made my first sale at that dealership after one hour on the sales floor and the sales manager told me, 'You figure it out, college girl' when I asked for a sales packet to conclude the transaction. Relentless grinding down. I smiled and took it.

I'm proud of my daughter, she handled this like a pro, got a good deal on a car that was low mileage and almost new, still had most of the factory warranty in place. But at the last second she was pressured to buy an extended warranty on the electronics since most things on this car are computerized. She did and my husband hit the freak roof! There was fighting and tears before my daughter prevailed and drove the car off the lot.

Her old car isn't dead, thank whomever, because a day or two before the car purchase Jim's car decided to give up the ghost and die. Timing belt broke and causes some major damage to the motor. He is taking her much older SUV and will be driving that now. Now that everything has calmed down.

I knew there would be drama on his part when she went to buy her car.

~~~~~~~~~

The other crazy thing that happened is that I finally broke down and got a Shingles vaccination on Monday morning. By nightfall I was sick as can be. I had the very rare reaction and have spent the last two days bedridden. Today I was half bedridden because my high fever (103) finally broke this morning. I can now sit up but still feel weak as a kitten. I had a high fever, pain in all my joints, very low blood pressure that meant every time I stood I either fell down or stumbled around like I was drunk. It drove my oxygen stats very low and my pulse rather high. Most people never get reactions like this, but I have now to a number of vaccines and drugs. This is par for the stupid course for me. No tequila this Friday.

No comments: