Sunday, May 07, 2017

Goat Rodeo Time!

You remember that capacious bragging I was doing about getting more done faster with Jim gone? Nope. Not happening.

First it was crazy asthma from high pollen and mold levels. Then on Monday night I tried a new body wash, a natural one with lots of coconut oil and cocoa butter. Getting out of the tub I slipped and fell ass over teakettle backwards into the tub. I got up and everything hurt but seemed to work right, so I went to bed.

Middle of the night - extreme pain. Hospital. X-rays. I refractured a few old fractures, like some ribs, chipped a few things and managed to rack up a concussion. Then the migraines started.

Next day feverish and in more pain. Off to the doctor and more tests. The sinus infection that's been coming and going I've been trying to kill off with garlic pills had decided to go insano. Migraines galore and I'm not sure if it's sinus infection or bumping my noggin like that. But at least I have prescription pain pills, my migraine meds refilled and something for the sinus infection. Today the pain of the headache finally lifted enough to ditch the migraine stuff and the narcotic pain pills.

Oddly enough once the seeing wavy lines, wanting to murder the source of every annoying noise and head in the vice pain started the ribs, knee and elbow stopped throbbing. I guess it's correct what Dr. House was saying, the worst pain turns off the brain's ability to feel other pains. One of those days I mowed the yard with our push mower having that stupid headache and hairline fractures.

I'm getting extremely annoyed with the drunken hillbillies Jim hired to paint. One of them promised Jim he'd help me by using his truck to haul furniture hither and yon, that he'd start doing the remainder of the wall paper removal asap and he'd start doing the wall prep and primer. He has done none of that.

He also is not returning many of my calls. Finally he called and said to meet him at the paint place at a certain time. A good ninety minutes later he showed up with no explanation as to why he was so late. I bought all the paint and supplies and he acted very weird, like he was nervous or guilty. He kept complaining that he was going to have to work Then he told me that he had a few side jobs to do sixteen hour days to paint our house because of his schedule, but if it rained he'd show up on those days last week and prime and prep. It rained three days, no Cletus. I called him up all of those days, no call back, no Cletus. We'd even discussed where I'd leave the house key for him if I had to go out.

Robert, my friend who's done repairs for us over many years, including lining up the roof replace, got me the contact on replacement painters if this does not pan out. Today another set of friends gave me contact information on their painter. So I've gotten some prices and we'll see what happens tomorrow.

I'll have zero qualms about firing Cletus and Bubba if they show up late or not at all. Cletus did call this evening and tell me they would be here to paint the house at eight am sharp. We will see. I'm officially disgusted by them at this moment, but Jim wants me to treat them with kid gloves and get them to do it.

It just irks me because I've been trying to get them to schedule a hard and fast painting date for six long weeks now.

He is not the only one behaving badly on the remodel front. That kitchen counter top I ordered I was promised that the counter top installers would schedule the final measurements by three days after the order. We're now a week and a half later and no word from them. I have heard from the plumbers and they are ready to go. I've called Home Depot to complain that the installers seem to be mia and nothing has happened yet. I can see I'm going to have to show up tomorrow and tell them they have to do something.

At the same time I cannot get an accurate measurement of the counter without the new stone sink ordered the same day and charged to my charge card. One day after it was supposed to arrive here, promised to me, I called Lowes, the place I ordered the sink and copper faucet from. Turns out my order had never been processed while my card was charged and I had several confirmation emails from Lowes claiming it was on it's way. They straightened it out and shipped both items. Supposed to have the sink tomorrow. When I went to pick up the faucet on Saturday customer service said they didn't have it. Turns out it was in the back unpacked from a day or two before.

I cannot say how disappointed I am by Lowes right now. Between that screw up, buying a set of light shades in glass and having the cashier pack them all together with no wrapping or double bagging so that they were all broken before I got home. But the capper of all of this was finding out that their carpet salesman put down Jim's phone number as the primary contact after we'd both said several times to him that my phone number had to be primary because he would be turned off as soon as he arrived in Costa Rica. He ignored what we said and put Jim's phone as primary, which because when I discovered it late in the week it pushes the carpet install even further back. Damn good thing I don't have a hard and firm arrival date!

Friday I took off and spent the day with my youngest daughter. She's not having the happiest of times right now and has some big decisions to make in the future. I think she's still at least a little freaked out by the idea and mom and dad will be so far from her.

Saturday she and her brother came down to help me wrangle old furniture to the dump, that thing that Cletus told my husband he would do and didn't. My son, I have to say how happy and proud of him I am. He's a hard worker, both this weekend and on his job. He was recently promoted at work. Big helper.

Sadly my baby, my youngest daughter was distracted and sad, laying my bed and texting much of the day instead of helping tote furniture. We went out to a new restaurant in town and I had the most decadent lunch ever. A cheeseburger on a doughnut. Crazy good but crazy insane sugary at the same time, followed by a deep fried twinkie. We had a favorite dish for an appetizer - poutine made properly with good brown gravy and real cheese curds. I haven't had poutine this good since my last visit to Toronto.

On the Jim front the language school in the remote mountains of Costa Rica had most of the volunteers quit this week. So now instead of the 15 hours per week he was scheduled to teach he's pulling ALL of the classes for a workload of 50 per week until they get more volunteers in. The area is isolated and remote. The photos he's posting on Facebook look like something out of a third world country, not the beautiful vacation spot I love.

He's tried to get me to agree to live in that single room they got for him right behind the town snack bar, but I had to tell him I don't care if it is free and they provide all our meals I am not staying there! It is tiny, run down and has one of those unique Central America Showers of Death by Electrocution. Our own apartment please!

He's eager to have me fly down there, but has no idea of the gargantuan task he's left me with.

Today I had to step into his old role at church and handle the counting team tasks. It was a huge clusterfuck that pushes me farther and farther away from organized religion. I'll talk about it on another day as I need to get to bed so I can be bright eyed, bushy tailed and horribly bitchy if the painters do not show up.

No comments: