Dear Larry Solomon....
One of the things that has made me laugh the hardest in the time without regular internet is the reaction of one Larry Solomon (not his name, but I do have his real name and location from the time he showed up and went nuts at NLQ) from Biblical Gender Roles to NLQ quoting his semi-treasonous rantings on his website.
Larry's not on the Southern Poverty Law Center's hate list.... yet... but there is still plenty of time for that! I suggested that perhaps the FBI ought to add him to their watchlist, which considering some of his political pieces would not be a bad idea.
Just like Vaughn Ohlman, a fundamentalist nutbar, bad author, girl-selling into common law marriage and theonomist, Larry believes that our government needs to be overthrown so that his flavor of rare fundy-town, very fragile masculinity can take over the government and turn it Christian. Since this is in direct opposition to the U.S. Constitution. I would consider that at the least borderline treasonous.
While Larry never called directly for an armed overthrow by him and his pals he's clearly heading that way in his mixture of theology and politics. It's the logical conclusion of that type of theonomy. He does not understand that I've been watching his type, first as a member of a church like his for nigh on twenty years and the eleven years I've been out. When men in this subculture start talking of taking over the government it's by either vote or force. Since Larry is not running for higher office, or talking of voting strategies it's pretty clear which way he leans. He'd have a snowballs chance of being elected in that district anyway. I may be rather stupid in some things, but this I know.
So how did Larry react to once again being quoted by NLQ? By writing about me. I'm so flattered
. I'm not going to respond on NLQ to his rantings. We've been quoting Larry for a long time and the greatest hits list of his quotes involve his approval of slavery, approval of raping a wife that says no, positing that women aren't made in the image of God and lots of really very bad and illegal in some states ideas on dealing with women.
He called me a feminist, which is only partially right. I am a humanist. I would like to see no one, neither sex, ever harmed, threatened, demonized and reduced to less than nothing based on some ridiculous notions of misinterpretation of the Bible. EVERYONE DESERVES RIGHTS. Even fuckheads like Larry.
The other name he tried to pin on me as an insult that I take as a compliment is egalitarian. That's right, I want everyone to be equal in the eyes of society, from the guy who pumped the septic tank to a millionaire female stock broker on Wall St. Treating others decently and with equality lines up with the words of Christ, however much of what Larry promotes sounds like something straight out of the Pharisees.
Larry and pals are calling for me to be placed on some FBI watch list, which really make me laugh (hello Security Clearance!), plus I do not promote hatred of others. Even as I quote him and a host of rather hateful others my greatest hope for them all is to wake up and smell the coffee and to stop advocating things that harm others in the name of their religion. If your faith has a body count it really sucks and should die immediately.
All of this make me happy to be a legal resident of a Central American country now, far from guys like him and his followers. There are almost no under educated over religioned fools here. It's frowned upon as somehow rude. I am far removed from the fundamentalist madness now, which makes the occasional death threat I receive for merely pointing out that much of what Evangelicals say has little to do with the words of Christ completely pointless gesturing, like a baboon pounding on his chest and hooting.
Too bad he's not smart enough to realize that there have been an entire fleet of people trolling him that he takes seriously. Clue - not all the letters asking for advice are real.
Also, Larry criticized the length of my articles at Patheos. Hey genius, the lengths are suggested and set by Patheos and the hit numbers different lengths generate in revenue. It has NOTHING to do with the ability or the intellect of the editor or writer. If you had at some point in your life actually taken a class on writing for the media you would understand that you must tailor your length, voice and types of words you use. The newspaper I used to write for required a different format - A one paragraph summation sentence to start and perhaps 4 more paragraphs. Some clients I do website content production for require more. It depends on the platform.
Larry is verbose, repetitive and takes far too many writing rabbit holes. He reads like someone too in love with the words and ideas he's spewing out like so much mental vomit. He does not understand most online have a limited amount of attention they will pay to an article. Better to be brief and hold the reader than to racket out whole cyber reams and be thought to be ridiculous.
The other issue with Larry is that I will never in a million years link from No Longer Quivering to Larry's blog because Larry loves to brag about hit numbers and I have no wish to pad out his Google numbers. I suspect he's tried in some way to monetize his blog, and it hasn't been the cash cow he'd hoped.
Larry's not on the Southern Poverty Law Center's hate list.... yet... but there is still plenty of time for that! I suggested that perhaps the FBI ought to add him to their watchlist, which considering some of his political pieces would not be a bad idea.
Just like Vaughn Ohlman, a fundamentalist nutbar, bad author, girl-selling into common law marriage and theonomist, Larry believes that our government needs to be overthrown so that his flavor of rare fundy-town, very fragile masculinity can take over the government and turn it Christian. Since this is in direct opposition to the U.S. Constitution. I would consider that at the least borderline treasonous.
While Larry never called directly for an armed overthrow by him and his pals he's clearly heading that way in his mixture of theology and politics. It's the logical conclusion of that type of theonomy. He does not understand that I've been watching his type, first as a member of a church like his for nigh on twenty years and the eleven years I've been out. When men in this subculture start talking of taking over the government it's by either vote or force. Since Larry is not running for higher office, or talking of voting strategies it's pretty clear which way he leans. He'd have a snowballs chance of being elected in that district anyway. I may be rather stupid in some things, but this I know.
So how did Larry react to once again being quoted by NLQ? By writing about me. I'm so flattered
. I'm not going to respond on NLQ to his rantings. We've been quoting Larry for a long time and the greatest hits list of his quotes involve his approval of slavery, approval of raping a wife that says no, positing that women aren't made in the image of God and lots of really very bad and illegal in some states ideas on dealing with women.
He called me a feminist, which is only partially right. I am a humanist. I would like to see no one, neither sex, ever harmed, threatened, demonized and reduced to less than nothing based on some ridiculous notions of misinterpretation of the Bible. EVERYONE DESERVES RIGHTS. Even fuckheads like Larry.
The other name he tried to pin on me as an insult that I take as a compliment is egalitarian. That's right, I want everyone to be equal in the eyes of society, from the guy who pumped the septic tank to a millionaire female stock broker on Wall St. Treating others decently and with equality lines up with the words of Christ, however much of what Larry promotes sounds like something straight out of the Pharisees.
Larry and pals are calling for me to be placed on some FBI watch list, which really make me laugh (hello Security Clearance!), plus I do not promote hatred of others. Even as I quote him and a host of rather hateful others my greatest hope for them all is to wake up and smell the coffee and to stop advocating things that harm others in the name of their religion. If your faith has a body count it really sucks and should die immediately.
All of this make me happy to be a legal resident of a Central American country now, far from guys like him and his followers. There are almost no under educated over religioned fools here. It's frowned upon as somehow rude. I am far removed from the fundamentalist madness now, which makes the occasional death threat I receive for merely pointing out that much of what Evangelicals say has little to do with the words of Christ completely pointless gesturing, like a baboon pounding on his chest and hooting.
Too bad he's not smart enough to realize that there have been an entire fleet of people trolling him that he takes seriously. Clue - not all the letters asking for advice are real.
Also, Larry criticized the length of my articles at Patheos. Hey genius, the lengths are suggested and set by Patheos and the hit numbers different lengths generate in revenue. It has NOTHING to do with the ability or the intellect of the editor or writer. If you had at some point in your life actually taken a class on writing for the media you would understand that you must tailor your length, voice and types of words you use. The newspaper I used to write for required a different format - A one paragraph summation sentence to start and perhaps 4 more paragraphs. Some clients I do website content production for require more. It depends on the platform.
Larry is verbose, repetitive and takes far too many writing rabbit holes. He reads like someone too in love with the words and ideas he's spewing out like so much mental vomit. He does not understand most online have a limited amount of attention they will pay to an article. Better to be brief and hold the reader than to racket out whole cyber reams and be thought to be ridiculous.
The other issue with Larry is that I will never in a million years link from No Longer Quivering to Larry's blog because Larry loves to brag about hit numbers and I have no wish to pad out his Google numbers. I suspect he's tried in some way to monetize his blog, and it hasn't been the cash cow he'd hoped.
Comments