Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge last weekend.
So where have I been? Back to Louisiana and then up to Maryland.
I wanted to check on my mother in her assisted living. It didn't go well at all, even if I stayed ten days. One of my aunts in the Aunt Heap nicknamed my mother 'Bottomless Betty' after she suddenly developed the inability to wear bottoms at all, no pants, no panties, no skirts. It was most bizarre and had a sudden onset. Her dementia has gone haywire in the few months she's been in assisted living. I'm not entirely sure she knew who I was either. This was a shock, her mental status slid so fast it was scary.
Did what I could, talked to the folks in the admin office seeking a way to help her. My mother's doctor had tried a drug to slow the dementia but all it did was cause my mother to hallucinate.
Got home on Tuesday night, taking that long airplane ride from Washington, DC to my home near Tamarindo, Costa Rica. Human Greek chorus and alarmist member of the Aunt Heap messaged me on Wednesday morning very early. My mother had come out of her apartment at the facility not just pantless, but buck ass nekkid to dust the grand piano in the atrium the day I was traveling. Facility hauled her little nekkid ass to the hospital to make sure she didn't have a UTI, stroke or heart attack. Nope. Dementia, likely some combo of end stages of anorexia and wet brain. She had been begging another of my aunts for alcohol. Who knows.
Talked to the facility and the aunt that holds joint power of attorney with me late Wednesday, Thursday same agony aunt that woke me up on Wednesday was at it again with insults, insistings, and insanitys. I blocked her. Life is too short to put up with abusive people.
More sad things had happened with my mother, and now the assisted care place was insisting I either move my mother to dementia care elsewhere (assisted living is the most they offer) or keeping her there with round the clock nursing care. Within an hour I'd set up nursing care with one of the few agencies registered with the home, and now I have to go back to Louisiana to pick out a memory care unit for mom.
Everything about this entire situation has been uncomfortable and heart breaking. My dramatic aunt has made it all just too hard. She's only contacted me in the last twenty years when she decides to rip into me. No more. She's lost the right to speak to me.
On the positive side TSA is currently leaving me alone when I travel instead of the deep cavity searches I got during this president's first administration. I got to see beloved family members. Set up all of my mother's bills online. Got my financial power of attorney in the hands of the banks/financial institutions.
This time I'll be dealing with getting the car inspected, and clean out the dining room filled with boxes to take over as my bedroom. And read a pile of books. If I have to miss Costa Rica it's better to happen during the worst part of rainy season.
Sadly it didn't stay to a lack of bottoms.

Comments