Anxieties, Gringo Human ATM and Frogs, Frogs, Frogs!

Our adult children visited for an all together too short 10 days. Beaches hit, drinks drunk and booty shaken. One of the funniest moments occurred at the local brew pub on the beach when I slipped away to the restroom after a couple of delicious Mojitos and I came back to a sight that made me laugh for days. Our 26 year old daughter was dancing wildly with tipsy abandon to the band playing "Play That Funky Music, White Boy" But that wasn't the part that made me laugh. It was the fact that my husband was dancing with her, shooting 'Help Me!!!' glances my way and gesturing to me to join them. No way! I'm a singer, not a dancer.

We had friends visiting immediately after our children left so we stayed very busy. Towards the end of our Peacecorp buddy visiting we had an unexpected visitor - a bullfrog in the toilet of the master bath. He appeared late one night while I yelled for Jim to come see. He kept appearing, disappearing, reappearing and almost literally scaring the crap out of us. A little Googling and hearing him on the roof helped me discover he was sunning on our roof before jumping six inches to end up wriggling down the vent pipe for our plumbing system.

Sunday morn two weeks ago I was talking to my mother on the phone when I hear an excited and frightened shout! The frog was no longer confined to the toilet, he's joined Jim in the shower. I discovered 35 years after starting to date my husband that he is very afraid of frogs. So now whenever I clean the pool and pull out any frogs I chase him about with the frog. Such a big man afraid of a tiny beast.

Duct tape and some netting sealed the frog portal finally.

Asthma  has been bad since rainy season kicked into full gear. I'm having the thing I hate the most when I'm having back to back asthma is the anxiety I get. I get that it's chemical, caused by the asthma, but it just sucks big time. I dream the weirdest things and rush around worrying that the sky is falling, even as I can see it's not. I'm starting to realize that I also carry a great deal of anxiety that I believe is genetic, that I rarely noticed when we lived in the States. Here when it rears its ugly head after a day at the pool or beach it's all too obvious. I'm going to have to come up with a way to deal with and evict this. Sort of staying unnaturally calm on Ativan.

My expensive laptop died this week, felled by the newest update of Windows. It's now a big useless paperweight. It tells me all my files are gone. It will not finish booting up. Right now I'm sharing with Jim, preparing to get mine into the shop and I've ordered another one.

Jim finally got a clue about one local man who has been doing some work for us painting the security wall and other repairs. He started treating Jim as if Jim was his personal ATM.  Jim finally had enough and cut off contact with him. You really have to watch who you hire here in Costa Rica. I'd known for awhile this guy had those 'gimme money NOW!' tendencies, but I knew that eventually Jim would get sick of his constant demanding of money and drama. It happened and I'm glad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Ancient History With a Crystal Ball