A Double Couyon Clusterf*ck!

 

Calm blue ocean! Calm blue ocean!

Not a photo from yesterday's walk. We're in rainy season so yesterday at the beach was gross, the sand is dirty, the skies were yuck and gray with some thundering and black pendulous storm clouds. Stupidly walked during high tide and twisted one of my ankles. Fit with today.

This week I've had a pile of phone calls from my mother. The calls were the usual spinning babbling and not rational. She tried even to steer the conversation to criticizing my aunt who lost her child with many years of addiction struggles. I had to head that off because it was just so inappropriate to do to her baby sister.

I try to leave the internet by no later than noon every single day. Usually even earlier because if I'm not limping about like today I get in the pool and walk or swim. So noonish hits, I cook lunch, start laundry, scrub the toilets, etc, etc, etc all the Friday stuff. I leave my computer back in the bedroom and go about my day. Jim takes a nap, while I lay down to read right before dinner time.

When we got up my messages had exploded. My aunts trying to get in touch with me, reaching out to my youngest daughter to try and reach me, a whole huge mountain of drama. We're talking about a two hours worth of frantic attempts to contact.

What happened? My aunt in mourning for her son asked their other sister Muffin (real nickname!) to keep an eye on my mother, call her a few times a week, help with her grocery order online. Muffin had been trying for several weeks without success to contact mom, and was starting to freak out. Uncle involved and he started freaking out. 

None of the aunts and uncles besides my aunt who lost her son and I understand that my mother does this, disappears into her shell like a hermit crab, will not pick up her phone or answer her door. This is just what she does. I no longer worry if she doesn't contact me or answer her phone. She'll contact me when she's ready. She disappears into substances.

In that two hour time frame I was unreachable except by Costa Rican phone number, and Muffin called the local cop shop in Louisiana to do a well check, not understanding at all that my mother wouldn't even come to the door. She didn't, and since the local cops think she's just a sweet old lady they didn't bother to break down the door.

However Muffin and my other aunts and uncles are rather upset. They don't realize that auntie Jo and I have been dealing with this crap for years now. I had to spend the rest of the evening on the phone with the Aunt Heap. They still don't get it. When you're dealing with substance abuse it's not pretty.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids