Flipping the Wrong Kind of Bird


 It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a big metal bird in the skies of San Jose! Wish it was real and not quite so big. I love Scarlett macaws. Sometimes you see them in the trees throughout big parts of Costa Rica.

I cannot go on and be as detailed as I might like because this last 14 days or so would read like the "Game of Thrones" series. Like George R.R. Martin I know I tend to be verbose.

Street painting of a Macaw

What happened: short story. Jim's incision opened. The sponge pump drainage system that we spent a week trudging back and forth to the doctor for wasn't working well. We ended up in San Jose at the better hospital that is our insurance's company's preferred provider facility. 

This place:


 

View from my husband's hospital room replete with the vilely uncomfortable couch/bed combination I slept on the first night. Luckily a very worried relative showed up the next afternoon to drag me away to a nearby hotel and start making sure I ate at least a couple of times a day. Long tense days spent in that room. 

Husband had two different staph infections and that ongoing mrsa infection. They had to take him into the operating room every few days to clear away dead tissue and infected bits. He was inpatient for 11 days. 11 days of IV antibiotics.

It took almost a week for the adrenaline I was living on to fade, and I started sleeping 11 hours a night. Almost like I need to buy a lottery ticket with all 11s now.

Stayed so long I think the hotel manager took pity on me and gave me an extended stay discount and access to the washer/dryer. Good thing too because I'd already worn the three days of clothes I'd packed at least twice, a few pieces 3 times before I managed to remember we were a mile from PriceSmart and new clothing. I bought a few cheap outfits to get by.

Yesterday we drove home and today I'm surveying the damage wreaked by disappearing that long. My seedling avocado trees and most of my house plants are dead. The cats have fomented shenanigans I'm cleaning up, and sorting through big baskets of clean unfolded laundry. Tomorrow back to our local clinic so Jim gets his surgical drains removed and more tests. 

Please, please whoever is up there handing out life's scenarios I could use a long stretch of boring.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids