It Happened on Valentine's Day!

We spent the majority of this day trying to get documents into the hands of our bank so that they will allow our wire transfer of the funds to buy the house through. Every single time I think we've checked all the boxes, dotted the I's and crossed the T's something else comes up.

I'm told it's pretty common. The local bank just wants to make sure Jim and I aren't using some sweet sweet illegally earned drug money to buy our new house. If we had sweet sweet illegally earned drug money we'd be buying a much bigger and fancier house dudes...

Getting worried that the money won't make it in time for the closing so I'm currently filling out paperwork to wire it into a escrow account if the bank rejects our paperwork and sends the entire amount back.

But that was later, it wasn't the incredibly crazy start to the day. So I've had flu for six days now and crawled out this morning with no orifice spewing bio hazards and able to walk upright. While Jim went to the gym I was involved in a free lance paid project, even if I was still working from the bed, off a bed table next to the bed. Thank god I had my clothes on and had recently drug a comb through my hair because I had unexpected visitors that ended up going haywire like a bad sketch comedy skit.

Working hard when I hear a ratta tat tat on the front door and the door pops up. The landlord and a young Tico walks in. The landlord tells me, in German of course since it's the only language he speaks, that this young man is here to look at the house. I complain vociferously that I'm working and he's interrupting that and that due to the illness and puke spewing the house is something less than perfectly clean. The Tico tells me hey that's no big deal.

But he puts me on the spot immediately, asking why I'm moving and I just baldly tell him that we bought a house. Then he wants to know why the furniture and decorative items in the online photos of the house are so different and how dingy the place looks compared to the photo. I tell him its because those are staged real estate photos and I've never seen a stick of that furniture anywhere on the grounds.

While we're talking the lights and electric start with their stupid flickering, going on and off, on and off and he asks if this is normal. I point out to him that the electric here is screwed. He says this isn't the place for him.

We're speaking English, which the landlord does not understand. Entire visit lasts under five minutes. I'm sorry I screwed it up for the landlord, but I'm not going to lie for them. I've been hiding from them today because even if old Fritzie cannot parse English I'm pretty sure he knows I called them on their bullshit attempts to gild a turd.

They are supposed to let me know when someone is coming into the house 24 hours in advance. I wonder what happened to their potential renter that signed a lease? Thought the place was rented.

Today I learned that Gringo pricing is real. I had dropped off my Iphone to get the glass replaced and a general good cleaning of the connectors and ended up being quoted a price that was only 15 bucks more than the price in the States. Know very well the two guys that own and operate this internet cafe/tech repair shop. Sat waiting for my phone and witnessed four different sets of Americans come in and request pricing on the same repair. He quoted them anywhere from twenty to sixty dollars more. When I got ready to leave he giggled and whispered to me that he was giving me the local Tico price since I live here now and I've been frequenting his business.

Late afternoon I discovered quite by accident that Jim had been ignoring the paperwork on buying the house and there was a lot of forms to fill out and documents to cough up like bank statements and tax records. I talked to the realtor about it and he immediately tried to throw Jim under the bus, claiming that he told Jim last week he needed to print off, fill out paperwork and provide documentation. When I asked Jim he said our real estate agency was also a liar, that none of that had been mentioned to him. I don't know who is lying in this situation, but I have to say I was very turned off by the agent immediately blaming Jim I got pretty stressed out having to hurry through all of it.

We ended up going out to dinner for Valentine's Day after all the rushing around trying to do everything for the sale and we went to our favorite restaurant on a nearby beach. We hadn't sat down ten minutes when I was stung by a bee right in the middle of my stomach. After a walk on the dark beach post dinner I finally just gave up and did the thing I should have done quickly to avoid the crazy. I climbed back into bed. I'm going to bed and I may not leave it if tomorrow morning starts like this one did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids