Trusting in Promises
A rainbow yesterday from the edge of our property. Reminds me of promises.
A few dark days here. Not because of anything here. Everything here in paradise continues on in its proscribed ways. Jim teaches, he edits things, he frets over the painting job the last Ticos we hired did. The Tico that tried to move in with us right before Thanksgiving has reappeared in phone calls begging Jim to bail him out of jail. I do my usual things, including planting my new garden frame with every kind of flower instead of veggies. Okay, I planted more American corn. We stay home all the time because of the climbing way too high Covid rates in Costa Rica. It's not India, but if this keeps up it will be. No beds left for Covid patients in the hospitals.
So why are the days dark? Two words one name. Josh Duggar. Yesterday especially. I got offline for the entire afternoon and evening instead of spending a bit of time in the morning and checking in during afternoon and evening a few times.
The diaper-butted YouTuber who chortles that she's 'joyfully unavailable' between gulps of wine I do not believe has slept since Josh's arrest by Homeland Security last week. She's breathlessly gleeful over every single detail emerging.
These are the same details causing me to be wretchedly dismal, heart broken and sick to my stomach. Why? Because I know what the other side not much mentioned here is. I worked doing Medicaid compliance at a group treatment home for abused kids. Some of the kids there, about 6 or 7, were rescued from a maker of child porn, who used them in his films and still shots.
I remember how hard of a time the staff had breaking the five year old girl from her habit of self soothing by masturbating. Every time a staff member turned around we were telling her to stop and go wash her hands. She was eventually released to a family member not the mother, and left us, with her long list of medications, diagnoses and behavior modification techniques. I don't know what happened from there, but I do know that's way too heavy of a load for a little kid. She was one of our success stories.
Many of the kids that came through the center having been through that don't do well enough to ever consider release. They, I suspect, will need to be institutionalized most of their childhoods, if not beyond. Many turn into predators after what was done to them. I don't need to tell you that the outcomes for their adulthoods don't hold much promise.
People like Josh Duggar victimize these kids, even just by viewing that porn without touching the child they are vividly participating in the rape of that child! I'm glad that the grand jury did the right thing and handed down the indictment. I hope that a local jury will be able to look beyond the fleeting fame of the family and do the right thing again.
Even when we hold little hope in this happening we have to hold to the promises that those who protect us will keep doing it.
Disappointed that the courts released Josh to live with that family, but not surprised. The speed that the court system is holding this trial is astounding. Josh needs to be put away in a jail cell for a very long time. Pedophiles don't stop until they are caught, and even then when they come out of jail they have a hugely inflated percentage of re-offending, with more victims. This is a man that has evil in his soul.

Comments