The Airport Blues and the Ten Trillion Errands
I laughed when I saw this. The last time we grabbed coffee and fried eggs on English Muffin sandwiches at The Players Club at the Liberia Airport it was over 25 dollars for something that would have run four bucks at McDonalds.
Picked up Jim from the Liberia Airport on Tuesday and it was a almost literal zoo. I arrived like I always do to fetch someone, walked into the terminal and took a seat where I could view the arrivees. Like always. I hadn't been there more than five minutes when a security guard told me I must move outside. I tried to plead disability, arguing I needed to stay seated on the disabled seat until he arrived. No dice, she said that the Covid regs would not let me stay there, even if I was dying.
So it was out into the brutal sunshine and hot air outside the arrivals door. With ten thousand shouting Tico drivers holding signs with the names of various tourists. After an hour I started getting most logy. And sweaty, very very sweaty. I noticed there was a long bench by the door instead the rope barrier out of the sun and perched under a ceiling fan. I took it, sitting down on the very end of this twenty person bench. The same security guard came up and told me to move. Told her she was going to have to arrest me to get me off the bench.
I'm hobbling around with a cane, it's hot and humid mixed with the sickening whiff of sulfur rotten eggy sort of smell of the volcano. I ain't going nowhere. Jim had to call me to find me, he's used to meeting me where I originally was. Told him next time he'd have to call me up as he was getting off the plane and I'd bring the car around. Next time I'm staying in my wonderfully air conditioned car in the parking lot.
It took nearly three hours and I was wiped out by the time I left with him. As usual the airport lands four flights in the same hour, meaning you are standing in endless lines to get through immigration and customs.
Three hours outside in the sun is too much! When I'm home and in the sun I always have something cold to drink, I have sunscreen and a hat. I get into the pool when the air gets too hot, and if I start reacting to things like a nearby fire, or polvo de Sahara, or that gross sulfur smell I can go inside into the air conditioning.
Jim complained I was 'bitchy' when he first arrive. Well, duh!
We came home and I could tell Jim was rather bitchy himself, complaining about expenses while balancing the check book, forgetting that many expenses were related to Covid testing and insurance required by the government now. By bed time he had a sore throat and his glands under his neck are swelling.
This morning was an endless array of errands, like picking up some clothing I ordered, hitting the bank, complaining to the electric company that their website payment portal is still down. Jim took another long nap. I worked on a project to put a crocheted cover on the pool safety railing. I'm almost done.
Tomorrow it's back to the airport to take our friends there to fly to the States. More shopping and errands before heading home. I'm not looking forward to it. I think I'm going to suggest we drop them off at the departures door and depart asap. I've had enough of the airport in Covid times. Plus that damn volcano is still spewing ash into the air not too far away.

Comments