Breaking Better


The last month has been struggle, and I've not wanted to dump that on any readers. Why? Me coming to terms with the fact that I was told I probably had MS and it was thalamic stroke instead and I wasn't referred  to the neuro in time enough to recover lost function. It was a dishearteningly hard pill to swallow along with the news that I had old thalamus damage likely from a stroke in utero. 

Lots of hard ugly crying mixed with self pity there for the last month. Plus it took me awhile to get okay enough with this to tell family members. Processing takes time.

I won't bore you with the physical details. I've had issues my entire life that relate to the first thalamus damage, now I have more. Big effing deal, I'm still very fortunate compared to others, I have access to great healthcare and have the gold standard health insurance. They've switched around my medications and I'm doing better now.

Jim is Jim and he's enmeshed with his fantasy football preparations. I keep hearing an AI generated voice from his computer saying inanities like "Good choice!" or "That's too bad" during his new new favorite hobby mock fantasy football drafts. Here comes football season, stealing him away.

One of the funnier and odder things that has happened recently is that we were having something of a bonding experience over a television show. He's been struggling with what they thought was Covid but many tests later turned out to be merely one of those flu strains that makes you feel like dirt for a month. During this time of him feeling like dirt and my own internal weeping over the confloption that is my body I started rewatching "Breaking Bad" from the beginning.

I had seen it during its original run, starting to watch just at the beginning of season three on my son's recommendation. Had to catch up by watching seasons one and two. So I'd not seen it in order. 

I realized during episode one season one that Jim didn't automatically dismiss it as sex & violence like so much tv. He left his desk, sidled on over, and started watching. Our days/nights turned into two and three episode "Netflix and Chill" sessions with the hours in between being filled with discussions of the show, and some of the larger themes, healthcare in the U.S., wealth inequality, immigration, drugs, you name it. Like I said some sort of bizarre bonding experience.

When I left to spend a week with our kids in the Greater DC area we had just started the first episode of season there. He asked if it was okay if he watched ahead, and I told him fine, I'd catch up when I got home. I got home and there were a mere three episodes left in the entire series. Jim binged seasons three, four and all the way to the end of season five. Damn, that is a lot of tv in a mere week!

We watched the final few episodes, which lead to another series of discussions. I still haven't seen more than few moments of "El Camino" because older Jesse reminds me too much of my son and it's almost painful to watch Jesse get tortured. But we're now moving on into the very different world of "Better Call Saul" I think Jim's going to start gorging on this one too, leading to other long talks about the state of our world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids