Coming Home and the Slewing of the Ogress
I am an old woman, not an ogress!
Written on Friday the14th
A week ago today we flew home. I'm still recovering from my month back home. I brought things back to the house, all the towels and bedsheets I'd purchased for the assisted living plus a pretty inexpensive comforter for my bed. My aunt tried to tempt me into purchasing an absolutely beautiful white comforter with silver pewter medallions sewn into the white linen. I loved it, then reality set in. I'm married to a guy who is so so smart but does not have one lick of common sense. I've learned I must have a pile of inexpensive comforters that can be washed. I never know when he's going to trot into the bedroom and pass out on the bed with black little goat feet. Here in Costa Rica he tends to walk around shoeless and if I'm not awake to gently remind him to wash those goat feet he'll go to bed with them like that. Besides the beautiful linen was dry clean only, something that does not exist here.
I hesitate to nag him about this because in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. Post all his bouts of cancer it's pointed out to me it's better to wash the comforter and throw another one on the bed. I am trying not to nag ever. I will gently remind him to wash the feet, but I will not nag over it. Besides, this way I get to redecorate the bedroom/change the mood by changing the color palate. So, I regretfully bid the expensive white linen bedding goodbye and said hello to multicolor flowers in an endless meadow.
Oddly enough we got home in one piece with our flights merely slightly delayed with gate changes and plane changes again. One change happened because the sink in the restroom broke. Pro tip - book the earlier flights of the day and you stand a better chance getting home.
The next morning after sleeping in our own bed, awakening still exhausted after traveling all of Sunday and arriving home late Sunday. We were struggling to unpack out copious suitcases as the messages started rolling in on my husband's cell phone. Who? A woman I have dubbed 'The Ogress' that has been my personal bete noire for nigh on four years now. Let's just say in the past four years she's continually uninvitedly inflicted herself on us via our swimming pool and her many pleas for my husband to come fix things for her after the ogre she was married to left her for a younger, prettier, richer ogress. My husband is useless at those types of tasks. Hire someone please!
Ogressly deeds now saved elsewhere because Ogress! *snipped*Speaking of insane my aunt called again. Mom's nursing home locked down from a Covid outbreak. Much fewer workers than before, patients all isolated in their rooms. Aunt's very upset about this, wants me to return to Louisiana. I cannot do anything, so I'm not sure why she wants me there. I am half-tempted still. We've been dealing with trying to get access to Mom's retirement funds to take an end of the year mandatory retirement withdrawal. Aunt was working on it after we made a joint initial call. They haven't been cooperative with Aunt at all. I called up and got a different response, but I also have a brokerage account there and Aunt does not. Makes a difference. I got the paperwork to start the process quickly, but I have to get my signature in front of a notary public. No one does that here except the US Embassy and the next appoint is Dec. 3, cutting this finely if the brokerage needs ten days to process the paperwork. Tempted to go home to the States and do it the next day. Considering it. May be flying soon, leaving the husband to the follies and lurking Ogress.

Comments