Iguana Poop and Why I'm Pooped by the End of the Day
An abandoned building at the beach in Brasilita. We were walking the beach Saturday night there.
So I had a very odd experience on Saturday. I was in the pool doing my 5 trillion laps, cursing exercise and thinking about a writing project when I heard a series of loud splashes. The big iguana on our property was hanging out on big branch over the pool and let 'er rip, bomb bays fully open and discharged. The iguana crapped in the pool man sized pieces. Eww! I had to clean the pool and add extra chemicals.
Sadly that was the most exciting bad thing to happen this weekend. Saturday after that was a progressive series of exposures to fires, smoke, dust and people's colognes that started making the asthma creep back. By the time we were walking on the beach at Brasilita I was not in a good way. I keep explaining to Jim that all exercise needs to happen by 1 to 2 pm at the latest during this early part of dry season to no avail. I'm winded and weirded and wacked out by 5 pm, dragging ass.
Hey, at least I'm not allergic to iguana poop I guess.
Today, being Sunday, I was back at Jim's new church with him, where I very nearly turned around and left. Shortly after we arrived a guy Jim knows came up, started talking to us and told me "This church does not believe in masking." Oh so passively aggressively suggesting I remove mine. I told him I did not care what "The church" thought, but as long as I have mast cell the mask stays on.
I was offended, but figured it's just one evangelical asshole. Jim discovers he's left his cash box back at the house so I go to get it. As I'm walking to the parking lot another random church goer tells me to take off my mask. This one I ignore.
I stayed away until I knew it was the end of the one hour service. I returned just as the band was on the last song. Asked the pastor about his rude little anti maskers only to be apologized to and told that no, there is no anti masking policy in place. They're allowing people to decide.
Didn't even try to explain how wrong that is in the wake of masking mandates still being in place at all churches here.
Will I go back? Maybe. Churches with bad theology are like those Nigerian Romance Scammers. I thrill to see them, because they always start my mind off thinking about how awful and complex they make what is actually quite simple, elegant and beautiful.
On a non asthma non whiny note the reason I was out on Saturday afternoon braving the dust, smoke and fumes was that I went and got a boatload of crazy expensive cotton yarns to make a fish shaped purse. I love being retired and not struggling for money. I forget sometimes and get all freaked out over the expense of something. I started to over the yarn. Sometimes I forget, and reactive in instinctive ways, not thinking that things have changed since retirement.
Comments