Entitled Gringos and My Dumb Body!

 

Strike up the band! Sunday night at our usual hangout.

I'm having symptoms that make me think there's something very wrong and different going on in my body. Yesterday I accidentally took a four hour nap while boiling potatoes and eggs for potato salad, got up around 7 pm and stayed up until 11 before crashing for about ten hours. On top of that my balance is much much worse suddenly and I'm having difficulties with my hands gripping things along with shaking involuntary muscle movements and crazy random pain. I guess it's time to go get a physical again. Starting to wonder if the doctor that thought I had MS might be right after all. I hope not, but I am not a happy camper about any of this!

Yesterday in the middle of my moaning about my stupid body I decided to go get a few plastic things and casserole dishes from the local Walmart subsidiary, not actual Walmart as that is over an hour away. Noticing cleaning the guesthouse post visit that I really needed to add to the kitchenware. I also needed a bunch of random things for my kitchen here. My measuring cups have vanished and I needed Pyrex type glassware small enough to use in my toaster oven. 

Stopped using my gas stove almost a year ago and it's made such a complete and total difference with the asthma that I will never go back to gas! We're not ready to remodel the kitchen to accommodate an electric stove. One of the things it would mean is a slight rewire and running another 220 line into the house. Waiting until we run across a good electrician, not the jokers we're run across in the past. That's why I'm only cooking with a double electric burner and a sturdy toaster oven along with a pile of things like a large crockpot, microwave, air fryer, instapot. It's more hassle but I value breathing enough to keep doing this.

I got to the place, and the kindly security guard wanted me to park in the handicapped parking. I don't have my plates yet, I'm waiting on the slow grind of the Costa Rican government, plus at this particular store parking in the few handicapped spots puts me farther from the carts. That makes it much harder on me because I count on reaching a cart quickly for balance. I can walk all day holding onto the handles of a cart being that balance is my issue. But bless him, he's a great example of the kindness of the local folks.

Get in the store, wheel on over to the housewares to start filling my cart with plastic measuring cups, cutting boards, etc when I hear a very distinctive accent booming out loudly, sort of a Bronx honks, and they enter the housewares aisle. A couple I would say in their middle ages. I could not help hearing their conversation and it was so so bad! They were complaining about Costa Rica and it's citizens, calling them names, braying out how stupid they were. The couple went on to run down the food, Tico Time, insects, how people did not do 'civilized things' here like in NYC and how happy they were to be on their entire summer jaunt to CR. In English! In a place where so many Ticos speak English and even more understand it!

But the topper was as I was consulting my shopping list (did a kitchen inventory of the guesthouse/main house) the lady darted in front of me, nearly knocking me down to grab some plastic kitchen geegog, while chortling to her man that I was too stupid to shop quickly like her. I said nothing because I was feeling weak enough without using the rest of my spoons up on an unpleasant interaction.

It's not that big of a store so it seemed like I ran into the dynamic duo of crap on every single aisle. I did notice as they kept up their diatribe that many folks were giving them that death glare of annoyance. It wasn't just me.

Somehow they ended up behind me at the checkout. I finished up my transaction quickly, all in Espanol, before turning to them and telling them that almost everyone here understands English, and knows what assholes they are, plus only stupid people come to CR during rainy season! I walked away smiling while they stood there with mouths open like gigantic gigged toads. Rude, I know, I should have been nicer, but there is nothing that grinds my gears harder than watching clueless American entitlement here. Please don't be an asshole while visiting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids