Suffer the Little Children...
Yesterday was a banner day for me. First I had to go to the doctor here and have a big toenail removed for infection. It went okay except I had a weird reaction to the local anesthetic used, and ended up having to sleep it off most of the afternoon and evening. I learned anew that I could never be an opiod addict. Kept making me get up and dry heave over the toilet over and over and over last night. No sleep yay! Minor surgery yay! Drug reactions yay! I would rather have the pain than the side effects of the narcotics they sent me home with. So it's grin and bear it time.
In the middle of this I found myself having to block a pile of people I'd been friends with over twenty years. Old friends on Facebook. Why? Because of their support for what our government is doing to separate immigrant kids from their parents.
One of them I was the most shocked at because she's been a foster mothere for as long as I'd known her. She was the one I would expect to have some compassion for the families. We'd been on mission trips to increadiblly poor communities in Afriica, Haiti, parts of Mexico, Cuba and Central America and seen first hand the grinding poverty and lack of hope the people live in. I've known her to be kind and compassionate towards suffering, at least right up until the moment she started supporting dunderhead Ben Carson for president because he is Godly. She switched allegiance to Donald Trump once Carson make whatever backroom deal with the devil (Trump) and dropped from the race.
Since the news, images and constant news chatter about the children being ripped apart from parents and housed in what amounts of animal pens I've been triggered rather horribly. I've never seen anything even remotely this awful during my years doing CPS investigationrs or during my time at a chidrens residential treatment center. Even my years working at a national social worker licensing org I'd not heard any story involving social work situations this dire!
The sad thing about the families crossing the border is that it is the last option for many running from gang violence, civil unrest, poverty, lack of medical care, areas on the brink of war. No matter what the president claims this is not a wave of criminals, gang member or drug runners coming over the border in droves. It's mothers and fathers, desparate to bring their children to a safe place, where there is plenty of food,, and a chance of a life of better.
The violence in many of the places they are fleeing is escalating Just a short 90 drive from my home is Nicaragua, one of the countries families are fleeing due to the riots and the government's attacks on their own people. I was in Nica just about a year ago and while it was peaceful then, it didn't take much to see the utter poverty of the populace and the overwhelming presence of their military armed to the teeth. People are still dying at the hands of the government there. Jim and I had originally planned to do our 90 visa run to Nica in July, just like last year, but it looks like it is going to have to be Panama instead.
We get the big U.S. news stations here and the escalating crises in Honduras, Nicaragua, Venezuela and Columbia are rarely mentioned. These are places that the immigrants are fleeing for the US border.
I know one thing. If anyone ever again tries to tell me how 'Christian' they are and that they support the seizure of small children I will know that they are not Christian at all, but part of a Christ-denying cult mockery of the words of Jesus. Ugh! Dear God save me from religious people!
In the middle of this I found myself having to block a pile of people I'd been friends with over twenty years. Old friends on Facebook. Why? Because of their support for what our government is doing to separate immigrant kids from their parents.
One of them I was the most shocked at because she's been a foster mothere for as long as I'd known her. She was the one I would expect to have some compassion for the families. We'd been on mission trips to increadiblly poor communities in Afriica, Haiti, parts of Mexico, Cuba and Central America and seen first hand the grinding poverty and lack of hope the people live in. I've known her to be kind and compassionate towards suffering, at least right up until the moment she started supporting dunderhead Ben Carson for president because he is Godly. She switched allegiance to Donald Trump once Carson make whatever backroom deal with the devil (Trump) and dropped from the race.
Since the news, images and constant news chatter about the children being ripped apart from parents and housed in what amounts of animal pens I've been triggered rather horribly. I've never seen anything even remotely this awful during my years doing CPS investigationrs or during my time at a chidrens residential treatment center. Even my years working at a national social worker licensing org I'd not heard any story involving social work situations this dire!
The sad thing about the families crossing the border is that it is the last option for many running from gang violence, civil unrest, poverty, lack of medical care, areas on the brink of war. No matter what the president claims this is not a wave of criminals, gang member or drug runners coming over the border in droves. It's mothers and fathers, desparate to bring their children to a safe place, where there is plenty of food,, and a chance of a life of better.
The violence in many of the places they are fleeing is escalating Just a short 90 drive from my home is Nicaragua, one of the countries families are fleeing due to the riots and the government's attacks on their own people. I was in Nica just about a year ago and while it was peaceful then, it didn't take much to see the utter poverty of the populace and the overwhelming presence of their military armed to the teeth. People are still dying at the hands of the government there. Jim and I had originally planned to do our 90 visa run to Nica in July, just like last year, but it looks like it is going to have to be Panama instead.
We get the big U.S. news stations here and the escalating crises in Honduras, Nicaragua, Venezuela and Columbia are rarely mentioned. These are places that the immigrants are fleeing for the US border.
I know one thing. If anyone ever again tries to tell me how 'Christian' they are and that they support the seizure of small children I will know that they are not Christian at all, but part of a Christ-denying cult mockery of the words of Jesus. Ugh! Dear God save me from religious people!
Comments