Sweatin' For This Oldie
Apparently I've picked up something else, something that keeps me sweating like a fool, feeling exhausted and feverish. Another doctor's visit, another round of drugs. One of the quite awful parts of moving overseas is being exposed to completely different cold virus and other medical maladies. Costa Rica has a few bug borne illness and other medical issues we generally don't get exposure to in the USA.
But, I think that being raised in South Louisiana, in the heat and the bugs before air conditioning, has had a positive effect on me. Jim catches every single bug bite that turns into a hideous infection. I don't. I can only conclude it has to do with my childhood in a tropical clime.
On the positive side I have managed to get a box of suppliments made from a Costa Rican herb that is currently being studied as an asthma aid. It works, it works well on me, even better than the CBD oil and medical marajuana ever did, which worked much better than any of the other traditional asthma meds have for a long time on me.
So dealing with this new fever put quite a weird dent in dealing with life the last few days. I've been alternatively resting and scuttling around like a crippled crab on speed. And thinking about the crazy crap going on in the States like mad. I've come to the conclusion, based on seeing the effect of polite behavior here and seeing that the rapidly escalating hostilities in the States aren't working, I'm come to the conclusion that we need to not react constantly in what I can only term as hissy fits. Let the Evangelical Christians and Conservatives work their hissy fits like a performance artists on crack. The rest of us just need to go into smiling 'Bless your heart' mode.
Fighting fire with fire only creates a scorched earth. Acting like an asshole to another asshole just adds another asshole to the situation, it is not helpful in any way, We need to treat the hissy fitters with the same gentle smirk and 'there there' you might use on your elderly uncle who likes to tie onions around his belt and mutter about 'The Kaiser!'
I know many on the left are calling for ramping up hostilities. I don't think that's going to work.
Well, anyway I had a chance to practice this with my finest 'Bless your heart!' towards the visiting pastor who was busy spewing shit two Sundays ago. Jim and I ran into him at our local shopping center yesterday. I didn't say what I was thinking, for a change, I smiled, nodded politely and said 'Bless your heart' as he heavily handed reminded us of his Bible study class this morning.
As you can see I am here at home this morning. Nope, nope, nope. But he'll be gone from Costa Rica on Monday. A blip on my screen not even worth getting agitated over. I am about to put his organization and website on blast on NLQ. He teaches exactly the kind of toxic theology as the Bill Gothards of this world.
We spent the entire afternoon and evening with a couple we met through the church. A lot of laughing and drinking of spicy grapefruit martinis before we went to the nearby mountains and watched the sun go down. There was a great deal of talk about the wonderfulness of escape from Fundytown, They also walked away from a cult church.
Sunset over Playa Pinellas
Today is our wedding anniversary, the 32nd. We'll go out for dinner, but I think I'm going to have to lay low in the pool for the day.
But, I think that being raised in South Louisiana, in the heat and the bugs before air conditioning, has had a positive effect on me. Jim catches every single bug bite that turns into a hideous infection. I don't. I can only conclude it has to do with my childhood in a tropical clime.
On the positive side I have managed to get a box of suppliments made from a Costa Rican herb that is currently being studied as an asthma aid. It works, it works well on me, even better than the CBD oil and medical marajuana ever did, which worked much better than any of the other traditional asthma meds have for a long time on me.
So dealing with this new fever put quite a weird dent in dealing with life the last few days. I've been alternatively resting and scuttling around like a crippled crab on speed. And thinking about the crazy crap going on in the States like mad. I've come to the conclusion, based on seeing the effect of polite behavior here and seeing that the rapidly escalating hostilities in the States aren't working, I'm come to the conclusion that we need to not react constantly in what I can only term as hissy fits. Let the Evangelical Christians and Conservatives work their hissy fits like a performance artists on crack. The rest of us just need to go into smiling 'Bless your heart' mode.
Fighting fire with fire only creates a scorched earth. Acting like an asshole to another asshole just adds another asshole to the situation, it is not helpful in any way, We need to treat the hissy fitters with the same gentle smirk and 'there there' you might use on your elderly uncle who likes to tie onions around his belt and mutter about 'The Kaiser!'
I know many on the left are calling for ramping up hostilities. I don't think that's going to work.
Well, anyway I had a chance to practice this with my finest 'Bless your heart!' towards the visiting pastor who was busy spewing shit two Sundays ago. Jim and I ran into him at our local shopping center yesterday. I didn't say what I was thinking, for a change, I smiled, nodded politely and said 'Bless your heart' as he heavily handed reminded us of his Bible study class this morning.
As you can see I am here at home this morning. Nope, nope, nope. But he'll be gone from Costa Rica on Monday. A blip on my screen not even worth getting agitated over. I am about to put his organization and website on blast on NLQ. He teaches exactly the kind of toxic theology as the Bill Gothards of this world.
We spent the entire afternoon and evening with a couple we met through the church. A lot of laughing and drinking of spicy grapefruit martinis before we went to the nearby mountains and watched the sun go down. There was a great deal of talk about the wonderfulness of escape from Fundytown, They also walked away from a cult church.
Sunset over Playa Pinellas
Today is our wedding anniversary, the 32nd. We'll go out for dinner, but I think I'm going to have to lay low in the pool for the day.

Comments