If It's Not One Thing It's An Iguana
Haven't posted in the last few days because life is boringly reptitious. Get up, check emails, write for an hour, go walk the beach, go swim in the pool and cook, cook, cook inbetween continuatlly cleaning the funk stink out of the house from the water. Drag around exhausted from the meds. Big freak whoop!
Until today and my love hate relationships with the local iguanas. We have a pile of different colored iguanas living in the vacant lot due west of our finca. I see them primarily when they are coming up and over the now 15 foot security wall to raid papayas and star fruit. Rainbow of colors, emerald green, dusty gray, gray and black striped, golden, and golden red striped. Beautiful but so annoying.
A few days ago I had lunch at Witchs Rock Surf Camp when a smaller one darted across the lawn to tourist oohs and ahhs. The Tico bartender I know and I just looked at each other and laughed. He said something like 'Yeah, they are fascinating the first couple of times you see them, and then they steal your shit..' Really made me laugh because that's exactly how I feel about them now. Cold blooded papaya picking thiefs with no boundaries.
Today, I am in my swimming pool, taking a few laps around when I see my kitty Stinky is chasing something big. I could not tell what it was until it ran hard, jumped and landed in the pool with a big splash and swam past me quickly. It was an iguana and passed very close to me. I screamed and leapt from the pool. Iguanas bite, they bite hard and their bites cause some pretty nasty infections.
I spent the next half hour fishing this ten pound large iguana out of the pool. I'd get him netted in the net that I use to scoop out the leaves, and release him next to the pool. Stinky would pounce, and the iguana was dive right back down into the pool.
Freaking out because I just did not know how long it takes an iguana to drown and this sucker was swimming to the bottom each time. Motionless on the bottom.
Jim had to come home from getting gas (another long story involving the General Strike and the shut down of the refineries) and has to take charge like the man he is. Thankfully he was strong enough to lob Mr. Iguana up and over the fencing. I'm still too weak.
Every day is an adventure here.
Until today and my love hate relationships with the local iguanas. We have a pile of different colored iguanas living in the vacant lot due west of our finca. I see them primarily when they are coming up and over the now 15 foot security wall to raid papayas and star fruit. Rainbow of colors, emerald green, dusty gray, gray and black striped, golden, and golden red striped. Beautiful but so annoying.
A few days ago I had lunch at Witchs Rock Surf Camp when a smaller one darted across the lawn to tourist oohs and ahhs. The Tico bartender I know and I just looked at each other and laughed. He said something like 'Yeah, they are fascinating the first couple of times you see them, and then they steal your shit..' Really made me laugh because that's exactly how I feel about them now. Cold blooded papaya picking thiefs with no boundaries.
Today, I am in my swimming pool, taking a few laps around when I see my kitty Stinky is chasing something big. I could not tell what it was until it ran hard, jumped and landed in the pool with a big splash and swam past me quickly. It was an iguana and passed very close to me. I screamed and leapt from the pool. Iguanas bite, they bite hard and their bites cause some pretty nasty infections.
I spent the next half hour fishing this ten pound large iguana out of the pool. I'd get him netted in the net that I use to scoop out the leaves, and release him next to the pool. Stinky would pounce, and the iguana was dive right back down into the pool.
Freaking out because I just did not know how long it takes an iguana to drown and this sucker was swimming to the bottom each time. Motionless on the bottom.
Jim had to come home from getting gas (another long story involving the General Strike and the shut down of the refineries) and has to take charge like the man he is. Thankfully he was strong enough to lob Mr. Iguana up and over the fencing. I'm still too weak.
Every day is an adventure here.
Comments