Squeamish

I learned something important today. Do not bring Jim with you when you go to the doctor and have procedures done.

When we flew back to the States last Tuesday I had my foot pretty effectively squashed by a rather fluffy gentleman I'd been talking to during boarding. People lose their damn minds when the plane lands and they open the doors, you'd think that someone was lined up just outside the plane door tossing out million dollar bills the way people push, shove and rush. As I was starting to go down the narrow plane aisle this gent decided I was too slow moving, pushed past and trod on my foot. I yelled 'Ouch' of course, he said "Sorry!" and I thought no damage was done. Not quite.

Foot started swelling up and eventually I went to the doctor only to be told I'd broken a toe or three and had a few little hairline fractures of my foot. Wrapped, given narcotics and sent on my way. Told to stay off the foot and prop it up.

Never had that kind of pain with a broken toe before, and brother, have I had a ton of broken toes in the past. I have three left feet and one of those is on backwards. I am clumsy as can be. Always have been. Broken toes are no strangers to me.

I didn't rest. I have lists of errands to accomplish, and things to buy plus the life of one of my relatives went totally haywire. Many visits, many tears and lots of shopping.

Mucho pain, I had run out of narcotics on my flight back. A horrible experience because I cannot walk more than five feet without shrieking like an irritated goblin pissed off at the world. We arranged with Delta Airlines Special Services to have curb to curb wheelchair service and ADA accomidations for my abused foot. It went very poorly. Delta dropped the ball, right down to the worlds most hateful flight attendants forcing me to sit in the seat right next to the back restrooms, not the one that SS booked for me. I got stepped on, pushed, you name it. I'm considering filing an official ADA claim over this. I feel for anyone that has to use a wheelchair to get around in because Delta sure did not make sure to honor much of what Special Services set up.

So this mornng, more pain, more swelling, more oozing of stuff. Doctors office. Now not only do I have all this fractured stuff I now have MRSA on that foot. Which meant they had to clean, scrape, eviserate dead skin.

Jim stood next to me while they did this. Here's the shit that rolled from his mouth while I was still crying like that pissed off goblin.

  • "Wow, that's gonna hurt!"
  • "Is it supposed to be that color?"
  • "That looks painful!"
  • "So much pus!!!!"
  • "Brace yourself because that's going to hurt, here it comes"
  • "Is that a razor blade?"
  • "Ouch!"
I started hissing 'Shut up, shut up,' because he was making me anxious and fearful. I would rather not know they've pulled out a razor blade or that the skin is coming off slowly in tiny pieces. It was excruciating because of the infection and there wasn't much they could give me to stop the pain of the procedure.

But I have to think it was just some strange echo of the interactions and problems of my relative. It was a highly uncomfortable and at times very painful visit with her. I'm not sure I want any part of it. I wish I could talk about it in detail and length here because it's just the weirdest damn story, but I'm not because she's very sensitive about others talking about her.

I am living in a Dr. Phil episode the last week.

Comments

Oh sweetie...File a claim against Delta, and if you got the FAs name, mention it. Tell DL that their SS made all these arrangements and the onboard crew screwed you. The more noise you make the more attention DL will pay. (experience here).

To the asshole who stepped on your foot, may camel lice infect his crotch.

While taking pain meds for my shoulder surgery, I chased after my little dog, and managed to fall over a 4x4 in the garage. I bent my left foot backwards and had a massive spiral fracture on my left foot. 9 weeks in the oh so stylish boot. Could not operate on it because it was in such a weird position.

I hope they give you good pain meds. This has not been your year.

Hugs.


You probably have this but here's some contact information:
Delta Air Lines, Inc.
Customer Care
P.O. Box 20980
Department 980
Atlanta, GA 30320-2980

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids