We Bought FURNITURE!!

Just the very beginning of refurnishing the house. So far we've purchased and had delivered mahoghany rockers, chairs and a loveseat along with two teak wood chaise loungers to go on the cement deck next to the hot tub. Squeal! Jim is so tight with a buck that finding him making the decision and shelling out the money is surprising.

We need to replace all of the living room furnishings next. After cleaning up the water it looks like the beds and nightstands are fine with no real damage.  The dozen bar stools handmade from Guanacaste wood are fine! My big old dining room set on the patio survived with no damage. We still have some furniture coming from the states, but will need to refurnish the living room and the guesthouse living room. Thinking about more mahoghany and leather furniture. Sometimes simple and tropic like the rockers we bought.


This is my rocker at the foot of the bed. Jim's is much taller and bigger. Looks nice next to the intricately carved mahoghany cabinets in the bedroom.

We got it all at a local place, where an American handmakes a lot of things of local wood. While we were dickering with him and waiting to tell him we'd decided we wanted the deal we ran into another American family buying furniture there. The father was from Austin, and I could tell he was rather impressed with himself, from the school his children attended down to his own extra curricular activities to how they were dressed. We, as usual, looked like clapped out old hippies in cutoffs, flip flops and tees.

We got to talking and he asked where we live. I went into my "Turn right at the first whorehouse sign, turn right at the second whorehouse sign, pass the whorehouse and turn left" schtick I always do because no one knows where our street is until I give that description because everyone knows where the brothel is.

Usually everyone laughs when I spiel out this description. Not this guy. He turned red, spit out that information on where the brothel is happens to be information his wife does not want him to have before turning on his heel and departing super rapidly. Turned to Jim and said, "Guess I offended him?" and we both laughed.

Later as I was describing the reaction of the one guy that apparently does not like my Costa Rican standup routine a friend pointed out that many married couples have such infidelity issues that even joking about it triggers them. Could be, but damn.

Guess I better watch my mouth!~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids