BYOB

BYOB no longer stands for 'Bring your own bottle' in this house. It's been replaced with 'Bring your own bag' as in trash bag.

I'm going slightly stir-crazy here. Jim still have pneumonia and the drugs weren't helping much until about an hour ago. He's moaning, he's coughing, he's snotty, just an absolutely miserable wretch to be around. As we all would be if we were as sick as he is. He has reason enough to be miserable.

Had to take over his tasks, watering the plants, cleaning the pool and hot tub, doing all the driving back and forth. I am not annoyed by that because I like doing those things in the first place. He also takes out the trash, but we're just piling it right now by the guesthouse. There's been no trash pickup for the last two weeks.

Why? A perfect story illustrating the nature of the Ticos. Because the first of the year was when you had to pay your Marchamo, the taxes and insurance on your vehicle, or the policia takes the plates on your vehicle and you have to pay a big fine on top of your Marchamo. We paid ours within a few days of their starting to accept payment because I don't fancy problems with the cops. Apparently the government of the state of Guanacaste did not, the whole damn state did not pay and now their vehicles, including the garbage collection trucks cannot be out on the road. This is so typical I just had to shake my head and laugh.

You know what else is typical? This morning. The Clean Wave group called for a beach clean in Tamarindo, calling for as many of us that could come out to do so and pick up trash. I showed up on the dot of nine am, andddd...... no one. I waited at the Monkey Bar five minutes, then ten and decided to go walk the beach and pick up trash. Did I mention I was eager to leave Jim to his own cranky devices?

I walked the beach and filled up my bag. Took a long walk on the beach even if it was unusually crowed on the estuary side beach. Talked to the two cutest older gay men in Speedos. We laughed over a San Jose tourist clutching a beer walking across the estuary. Not very safe to do. There are warning crocodile signs everywhere and two tourists were bitten in the last six months. Tastes just like chicken!

I walked back to where I was parked about 10:15 am and right into the sleepy arms of my fellow trash collectors. Well, the early bird and all that jazz. Plenty of trash left to go around. Pura vida. Never expect anyone here to ever be on time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids