Quilted Out
Ouilted out is a term we use sometimes in quilting when things aren't going a 100% right, you have to make adjustments or you think you're screwed up. Hopefully when you quilt the project that edge will now lay flat, or you've adjusted enough for whatever oddity you run across.
Today I put together the front, the back and the batting on that huge 144 inch by 144 inch California King quilt I am making for my new bed. A huge bastard of a project that's taken me something like eight months because I kept running away crying during the making. It's ambitious and it's all glorious pinks. corals and golds for my bedroom.
During one of my breaks from the actual quilting process it became obvious I need to do some sort of blogging 'quilting out' after I looked at a link someone sent me to a board discussing Vyckie Garrison's divorce and ancient history. There are some untrue assumptions I need to address.
Vyckie and I are still friendly. We're not besties, we're not joined at the hip. I've probably talked to her three times in three years. I wish her well, but life goes on and you live. To quote a movie I love friends move in and out of our lives like busboys in a restaurant.
Notice I personally never ask for money at No Longer Quivering. You'll never see a Patreon or Buy Me a Cup of Coffee app there. Now I may post someone else's fund raiser. I've done that for a long laundry list of folks, like my pal Cindy Kunsman, or several woman who lost everything. I've posted a couple for Vyckie, including her latest Go Fund Me asking for money to get a divorce. Recently I decided I'm no longer going to post fundraisers or monetary requests by anyone. Why? Couple of reasons.
First, in this day and age it seems to be something people turn to just way too often. I have seen friends post asking for money for things like school supplies, travel expenses and maid service and I'm kind of aghast. It's another clue I guess that I'm now officially ancient and pearl clutching. No, I am not paying for your maid service because you feel 'stressed out'. I have another friend that combines all of these constant Go Fund Mes with requests/threats/pleas to go over to her house and help her do normal day to day stuff. Have we as a society because so completely devoid of personal responsibility that we expect others to do it all and pay for it all for us?
Second, there's been a lot of ugly talk about money raised by NLQ and other Patheos blogs, claims of mishandled funds, money spent on all sorts of things not intended. I know nothing about all of that which happened before I took over and am publicly making a clean break from asking for any money at all. Trust me, I'm not getting rich off this thing. Money is not my motivator.
Yes, I was finally convinced that Razing Ruth was a fake after seeing the evidence all laid out like that. I still believe that and have long sense removed all of her writing.
Clarification: I said something about my daughter exactly once here and quickly removed it. If you still want to harshly judge me for something from ten years ago please go right ahead. We struggle with each other, are close and split up dosy-do swing your partner, but that's none of anyone's business. Never claimed to be perfect. No one is.
Also, comments at NLQ are kept respectful and calm on purpose. Not to be an 'echo chamber' but because there are enough fighty free for all spaces online. Keeping NLQ free of that is easier on my nerves, and my time. Hence Jerks 4 Jesus since the problem people are usually fundamentalist in nature. When I had no comment rules in place it was nasty, and I spent more time dealing with flagged comments and angry people. As it is now I rarely have time to deal with emails and messages.
I care nothing about interviews, media or any of that. I'm sort of a fumbling idiot when asked to speak. I'm not silver-tongued as Andrew Hall found out recently when I was on his pod cast. We spoke primarily about the challenges of moving from Northern Virginia to Costa Rica and I got to tell all my crazy Tico tales. Not so much about NLQ. I'm behind the scenes where I shine.
Straightened out like me pulling on the edges of a quilt straightening the wrinkles. Now onto today.
Too bad the rest of the afternoon wasn't as easy as that. I got treated to what the Ticos call a great bargain in used furniture. We showed up at a Tico's house that had been trying to sell me a used sofa. I'd been telling Jim I thought that we should bite the cost bullet and get a custom made for our living room and get a black pleather fold out couch for the guesthouse at Wal Mart. He wanted to see what his friend who'd been bragging about being rich and wanting to see us a sofa sleeper for two hundred bucks had. Nothing good. One was scratched up wood with a worn out padding. The other was nice, once upon a time with rattan woven arms scratched up and broken. It was a no go.
Our sofa is just so old is the only reason I want to replace it. I have been Macgyrving the thing along, even steam cleaning it when J.A. peed on it. It's at least twenty years old with upholstery faded from dark brown to cream, but it's spotlessly clean. When the webbing straps underneath dry rotted and fell out I took out the bottom support and completely restrung it with plastic coated metal clothesline. It's very function and comfortable, I plan on moving it into my bedroom when I get a new one. My poor sofa is a symbol of my Costa Rican journey, jerry-rigged and made do but still nice.
Talking to licensed electricians now too. Still having tripped breakers in all three boxes here on property. Going to rewire everything. Electrical wiring should not be Macgyrvered.
Today I put together the front, the back and the batting on that huge 144 inch by 144 inch California King quilt I am making for my new bed. A huge bastard of a project that's taken me something like eight months because I kept running away crying during the making. It's ambitious and it's all glorious pinks. corals and golds for my bedroom.
During one of my breaks from the actual quilting process it became obvious I need to do some sort of blogging 'quilting out' after I looked at a link someone sent me to a board discussing Vyckie Garrison's divorce and ancient history. There are some untrue assumptions I need to address.
Vyckie and I are still friendly. We're not besties, we're not joined at the hip. I've probably talked to her three times in three years. I wish her well, but life goes on and you live. To quote a movie I love friends move in and out of our lives like busboys in a restaurant.
Notice I personally never ask for money at No Longer Quivering. You'll never see a Patreon or Buy Me a Cup of Coffee app there. Now I may post someone else's fund raiser. I've done that for a long laundry list of folks, like my pal Cindy Kunsman, or several woman who lost everything. I've posted a couple for Vyckie, including her latest Go Fund Me asking for money to get a divorce. Recently I decided I'm no longer going to post fundraisers or monetary requests by anyone. Why? Couple of reasons.
First, in this day and age it seems to be something people turn to just way too often. I have seen friends post asking for money for things like school supplies, travel expenses and maid service and I'm kind of aghast. It's another clue I guess that I'm now officially ancient and pearl clutching. No, I am not paying for your maid service because you feel 'stressed out'. I have another friend that combines all of these constant Go Fund Mes with requests/threats/pleas to go over to her house and help her do normal day to day stuff. Have we as a society because so completely devoid of personal responsibility that we expect others to do it all and pay for it all for us?
Second, there's been a lot of ugly talk about money raised by NLQ and other Patheos blogs, claims of mishandled funds, money spent on all sorts of things not intended. I know nothing about all of that which happened before I took over and am publicly making a clean break from asking for any money at all. Trust me, I'm not getting rich off this thing. Money is not my motivator.
Yes, I was finally convinced that Razing Ruth was a fake after seeing the evidence all laid out like that. I still believe that and have long sense removed all of her writing.
Clarification: I said something about my daughter exactly once here and quickly removed it. If you still want to harshly judge me for something from ten years ago please go right ahead. We struggle with each other, are close and split up dosy-do swing your partner, but that's none of anyone's business. Never claimed to be perfect. No one is.
Also, comments at NLQ are kept respectful and calm on purpose. Not to be an 'echo chamber' but because there are enough fighty free for all spaces online. Keeping NLQ free of that is easier on my nerves, and my time. Hence Jerks 4 Jesus since the problem people are usually fundamentalist in nature. When I had no comment rules in place it was nasty, and I spent more time dealing with flagged comments and angry people. As it is now I rarely have time to deal with emails and messages.
I care nothing about interviews, media or any of that. I'm sort of a fumbling idiot when asked to speak. I'm not silver-tongued as Andrew Hall found out recently when I was on his pod cast. We spoke primarily about the challenges of moving from Northern Virginia to Costa Rica and I got to tell all my crazy Tico tales. Not so much about NLQ. I'm behind the scenes where I shine.
Straightened out like me pulling on the edges of a quilt straightening the wrinkles. Now onto today.
Too bad the rest of the afternoon wasn't as easy as that. I got treated to what the Ticos call a great bargain in used furniture. We showed up at a Tico's house that had been trying to sell me a used sofa. I'd been telling Jim I thought that we should bite the cost bullet and get a custom made for our living room and get a black pleather fold out couch for the guesthouse at Wal Mart. He wanted to see what his friend who'd been bragging about being rich and wanting to see us a sofa sleeper for two hundred bucks had. Nothing good. One was scratched up wood with a worn out padding. The other was nice, once upon a time with rattan woven arms scratched up and broken. It was a no go.
Our sofa is just so old is the only reason I want to replace it. I have been Macgyrving the thing along, even steam cleaning it when J.A. peed on it. It's at least twenty years old with upholstery faded from dark brown to cream, but it's spotlessly clean. When the webbing straps underneath dry rotted and fell out I took out the bottom support and completely restrung it with plastic coated metal clothesline. It's very function and comfortable, I plan on moving it into my bedroom when I get a new one. My poor sofa is a symbol of my Costa Rican journey, jerry-rigged and made do but still nice.
Talking to licensed electricians now too. Still having tripped breakers in all three boxes here on property. Going to rewire everything. Electrical wiring should not be Macgyrvered.
Comments