Cabinets, Sopranos, Roads and Bones
Sunday was brutal. I sang soprano and falsetto, but only because the
other singer didn't know the songs and had to intone in alto along with
the leader. Just the three of us. Summer vacations have begun and there
was literally no one at church.
Even the pastor is off on a lengthy vacation, so we had an elder from a nearby church who droned on and on and on about how people didn't come to Christ because they are selfish bastards. I wanted to stand up and tell him that the problem is people cannot stand most fake and hateful Evangelical Christians. As long as people screaming how Christian they are act a fool towards everyone else then faith will continue to die.
Some of the things he said made me snort with laughter at the utter cluelessness of his words. No idea of historical context, how the Bible was translated and rewritten through the years, the scandalous personage of King James and a million other things.
I have ADHD, and am a twitcher, which means while listening, or watching something like a movie, I have to have something from my hands to do. Which is why I always crochet while watching television. When I'm listening and thinking I usually have to be playing a video game, like Candy Crush. I know it sounds counter intuitive to be playing a game while listening but it works well for me. Our pastor takes as long as it takes me to play 5 rounds of 'Candy Crush Friends' and 1 round of regular 'Candy Crush.' This dude it took 5 rounds of CCF, 5 rounds of regular CC and 5 rounds of 'Candy Crush Soda'. I was circling back around to a few rounds of CCF when he finally ended the sermon by prissily telling everyone that this was his short sermon, at his home church he would havs spoken for another hour.
Yeah, my pastor knows I do this, and gets why.
Yesterday was an asthmatic me stumbling around trying to decide which part of the cabinet to put the new sink. Doing laundry, cooking, assembling a night stand and scrubbing the bath behind where the old glass shelves and pedestal sink had been.
Conundrum: Sink in the middle of new cabinet or offset to the right?
I am leaning heavily towards off set just so I can have some counter space. This was custom built to fit in that limited space. Middle is more aesthetically pleasing, but takes up much more of the counter. I am all about the practical.
The other thing that happened was that the doctor finally saw Jim's MRI/CT scan readings and yes, things are all screwed up. He has subloxication of his shoulder, a partial dislocation. Add in that his bones are not in great shape. Years of hyperparathyroidism during our years as fundigelicals have left his bones brittle and lacking calcium. Poor bone condition is what the doc called it. Unhealed fracture too. Nothing has healed correctly.
So now the doctor wants us to wait and see. Maybe surgery will be needed, maybe not. A lot more physical therapy is in Jim's future, which eats up time and money.
Jim is discouraged and upset that there is no easy quick fix for this. He's never experienced first hand what it is like to suffer from something that cannot be cured with surgery or medicines. I feel bad for him. He's used to perfect health and doing what he wants. It's hard to be sick.
We haven't been able to get down to San Jose either because everyone in this country has lost their damn minds over the recent value added taxes. The VAT isn't much at all. I've lived places with a VAT, it's no unreasonable and it would pump some badly needed funds into education and infrastructure here. Ticos only see it as their costs rising, not the benefits, and are blocking roads, protesting and even rioting in some places. Roads closed between here and San Jose in places. Damn, and I desperately need to make a Price Smart run.
Even the pastor is off on a lengthy vacation, so we had an elder from a nearby church who droned on and on and on about how people didn't come to Christ because they are selfish bastards. I wanted to stand up and tell him that the problem is people cannot stand most fake and hateful Evangelical Christians. As long as people screaming how Christian they are act a fool towards everyone else then faith will continue to die.
Some of the things he said made me snort with laughter at the utter cluelessness of his words. No idea of historical context, how the Bible was translated and rewritten through the years, the scandalous personage of King James and a million other things.
I have ADHD, and am a twitcher, which means while listening, or watching something like a movie, I have to have something from my hands to do. Which is why I always crochet while watching television. When I'm listening and thinking I usually have to be playing a video game, like Candy Crush. I know it sounds counter intuitive to be playing a game while listening but it works well for me. Our pastor takes as long as it takes me to play 5 rounds of 'Candy Crush Friends' and 1 round of regular 'Candy Crush.' This dude it took 5 rounds of CCF, 5 rounds of regular CC and 5 rounds of 'Candy Crush Soda'. I was circling back around to a few rounds of CCF when he finally ended the sermon by prissily telling everyone that this was his short sermon, at his home church he would havs spoken for another hour.
Yeah, my pastor knows I do this, and gets why.
Yesterday was an asthmatic me stumbling around trying to decide which part of the cabinet to put the new sink. Doing laundry, cooking, assembling a night stand and scrubbing the bath behind where the old glass shelves and pedestal sink had been.
Conundrum: Sink in the middle of new cabinet or offset to the right?
I am leaning heavily towards off set just so I can have some counter space. This was custom built to fit in that limited space. Middle is more aesthetically pleasing, but takes up much more of the counter. I am all about the practical.
The other thing that happened was that the doctor finally saw Jim's MRI/CT scan readings and yes, things are all screwed up. He has subloxication of his shoulder, a partial dislocation. Add in that his bones are not in great shape. Years of hyperparathyroidism during our years as fundigelicals have left his bones brittle and lacking calcium. Poor bone condition is what the doc called it. Unhealed fracture too. Nothing has healed correctly.
So now the doctor wants us to wait and see. Maybe surgery will be needed, maybe not. A lot more physical therapy is in Jim's future, which eats up time and money.
Jim is discouraged and upset that there is no easy quick fix for this. He's never experienced first hand what it is like to suffer from something that cannot be cured with surgery or medicines. I feel bad for him. He's used to perfect health and doing what he wants. It's hard to be sick.
We haven't been able to get down to San Jose either because everyone in this country has lost their damn minds over the recent value added taxes. The VAT isn't much at all. I've lived places with a VAT, it's no unreasonable and it would pump some badly needed funds into education and infrastructure here. Ticos only see it as their costs rising, not the benefits, and are blocking roads, protesting and even rioting in some places. Roads closed between here and San Jose in places. Damn, and I desperately need to make a Price Smart run.


Comments