Everest!
Tonight we went to a lecture with slides by one of the local surf operators who just climbed Everest. I wanted to go, I didn't want to go. But my fascination with Everest decided it.
Started reading about mountaineering some years back when my best friend's son started doing the top 7 peaks. I am not sure if Nathan ever did Everest, but I know he climbed K2, Kilimanjaro, the one in Antarctica and Denali before hanging up his crampons.
One of the books I loved the most about climbing also seemed to be one of the most honest unvarnished looks at the sport - "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer. But I have loved his other books too, the one of the Mormon faith - "Under the Banner of Heaven" is an unflinching look into that faith and the history of violence surrounding it.
Remember this last May when the line of climbers snaking up Everest became so disorganized and slipshod, like the escalator at Macy's during a big sale? This guy climbed in the middle of that mess.. Or, should I say, climbed around that mess. Bodies piled up at inconvenient places.
It sounds like somethings have taken a turn for the better on Everest. Before everyone dropped their tanks and trash where they would. Crapped wherever, turning the mountain into a hi-rise trash heap. Now it's pack in everything and pack it out again, as it should be.
No one is even peeing off the side of the mountain any longer. They have to bring small trash bags containing a small amount of kitty litter, defecate or urinate in that, and pack it down. Baby steps in keeping Everest clean.
From all the news reports and eye witness accounts it sounds like the Nepalese government is going to have to take some other steps parks have taken in the U.S. Limit the number of climbers and visitors. This overuse of the mountain and trails started happening at the Old Rag trail and other places in the Shenandoah National Park, and limits were placed on the mountain so that it didn't morph into a dead trash heap. Sometimes it's necessary to limit visitors to preserve things.
While I'm fascinated by it, read about it and watch every time there's a movie made I would never climb it. Even if I was younger and in perfect health. Hell, Jim can tell you he practically had to drag me kicking and screaming up the side of the Arenal Volcano and up Cerro Chatto to the natural lagoon at top. It's something I would never do. I think you have to be a little bit crazy to do something like climb Everest,doing something that your own body was never designed to do. I admire those that do, but I'm much happier safely reading about their exploits from sea level. Nope, both feet firmly planted on the ground.
Started reading about mountaineering some years back when my best friend's son started doing the top 7 peaks. I am not sure if Nathan ever did Everest, but I know he climbed K2, Kilimanjaro, the one in Antarctica and Denali before hanging up his crampons.
One of the books I loved the most about climbing also seemed to be one of the most honest unvarnished looks at the sport - "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer. But I have loved his other books too, the one of the Mormon faith - "Under the Banner of Heaven" is an unflinching look into that faith and the history of violence surrounding it.
Remember this last May when the line of climbers snaking up Everest became so disorganized and slipshod, like the escalator at Macy's during a big sale? This guy climbed in the middle of that mess.. Or, should I say, climbed around that mess. Bodies piled up at inconvenient places.
It sounds like somethings have taken a turn for the better on Everest. Before everyone dropped their tanks and trash where they would. Crapped wherever, turning the mountain into a hi-rise trash heap. Now it's pack in everything and pack it out again, as it should be.
No one is even peeing off the side of the mountain any longer. They have to bring small trash bags containing a small amount of kitty litter, defecate or urinate in that, and pack it down. Baby steps in keeping Everest clean.
From all the news reports and eye witness accounts it sounds like the Nepalese government is going to have to take some other steps parks have taken in the U.S. Limit the number of climbers and visitors. This overuse of the mountain and trails started happening at the Old Rag trail and other places in the Shenandoah National Park, and limits were placed on the mountain so that it didn't morph into a dead trash heap. Sometimes it's necessary to limit visitors to preserve things.
While I'm fascinated by it, read about it and watch every time there's a movie made I would never climb it. Even if I was younger and in perfect health. Hell, Jim can tell you he practically had to drag me kicking and screaming up the side of the Arenal Volcano and up Cerro Chatto to the natural lagoon at top. It's something I would never do. I think you have to be a little bit crazy to do something like climb Everest,doing something that your own body was never designed to do. I admire those that do, but I'm much happier safely reading about their exploits from sea level. Nope, both feet firmly planted on the ground.
Comments