Ponds, Big and Small

 

Bananas in our banana tree when we first moved in. Putting in the pool upset the tree and it died. Since we've finally had a new banana tree grow from the old stump. Hoping for those delicious fingerling bananas this year.

I've been quiet this week. The dizziness is back, and the vertigo is back, so it's been a week of books, naps and resting. Better today. Ran about cleaning, cooking and getting everything done. I don't trust tomorrow.

While I'm not trusting tomorrow and falling down it's been a rough week in a couple of ways. Church and people. We lost someone we know to suicide this week here. The shut down of tourism killed his business, and I guess he just lost hope. I was sad to hear it. 

Lots going down that has not been so pleasant to hear. Most of our American friends are back in the States, and we got word of another set going back. A couple we know well from church. Got here just about the same time we did. I don't know what the husband did in the States but they were on early retirement here. Then he discovered the easy crack of daytrading. In three short years he ran through the family's entire life savings. They'd going back now, him to work, her to a divorce. We were both shaken up to hear this story.

Jim's worried about church, going to a meeting with one of the few other gringos left here, planning what to do. Church has been closed since the beginning of the Pandemic, reopened for about a month and is now closed until January. Jim's upset. He's tried to reason with the pastor, who has run off to the States until January. Jim's right, the longer it stays shut down the less likely people are to return. Most of the congregation is completely in the States now anyway.

Most of the believing gringo group has cohered around another church now. Jim's going there. Not enough reason in this world for me to go. I am hearing there is zero social distancing and not a lot of mask wearing. Plague rats everywhere.

Earlier today I told one of Jim's friends off for behaving poorly around me and he wanted a hug, a freaking hug. Told that plague rat that's not happening during a pandemic and grumped off to read in the bedroom.

Jim needs interaction and people, I do not. We're both wired so differently. This week he's really been freaking out over church and everything else. 

It makes a change from watching others here trying to force their ideas on what the church should be on each other. I see lots of people end up here that were the big kahuna at their old community end up being much to their own surprise just another fish with other same sized fish here. With the shut down the ponds have turned into individual mud puddles.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids