Second Wave
So we're in our second wave of tourism this year. The first one runs from Christmas to May before dying off. The second one starts once school in the United States happens, running from late June to early/mid August.
I'm not sure which one is worse. The one that starts in December is a world-wide glut of tourists.The one happening now is almost strictly Americans of the most obnoxious variety.
Last night we went to our favorite local restaurant owned and run by Ticos and instead of being one or two non-Tico couples the entire restaurant was filled with people from the U.S. of A. with their kids running and shrieking around the restaurant. Loud conversations, drunken idiots behaving badly. Left a very bad taste in my mouth instead of just chifrijo. It was jarring.
When we eat at the tourist traps I expect this during the two tourist seasons, but not when you go local.
I know to avoid the Auto Mercado and Tamarindo Beach on the weekends during the tourist times because of the crowds of folks, and the crowds of stupid people that want to whine and moan that they cannot find the right brand of bagels or vegan cheese.
The problems with living in paradise!
Maybe I'm just still cranky from the continued hacking cough and chest congestion.
Jim was approached again to teach at the school south of here for the month of August. Thankfully he said no. I'm not ready to go live in one freezing room again not even to escape the tourists.
Of course once the rest of our furniture gets here from the States I'll likely be singing a different tune on the tourists. We have pieces coming that I will be using to finish up the guesthouse before listing it on AirBNB for high season in December. We're also already have reservations for our house for Christmas week and New Years. We decided to go home for the holidays after discovering that our house will rent for four thousand bucks a week during the holidays.
I'm not sure which one is worse. The one that starts in December is a world-wide glut of tourists.The one happening now is almost strictly Americans of the most obnoxious variety.
Last night we went to our favorite local restaurant owned and run by Ticos and instead of being one or two non-Tico couples the entire restaurant was filled with people from the U.S. of A. with their kids running and shrieking around the restaurant. Loud conversations, drunken idiots behaving badly. Left a very bad taste in my mouth instead of just chifrijo. It was jarring.
When we eat at the tourist traps I expect this during the two tourist seasons, but not when you go local.
I know to avoid the Auto Mercado and Tamarindo Beach on the weekends during the tourist times because of the crowds of folks, and the crowds of stupid people that want to whine and moan that they cannot find the right brand of bagels or vegan cheese.
The problems with living in paradise!
Maybe I'm just still cranky from the continued hacking cough and chest congestion.
Jim was approached again to teach at the school south of here for the month of August. Thankfully he said no. I'm not ready to go live in one freezing room again not even to escape the tourists.
Of course once the rest of our furniture gets here from the States I'll likely be singing a different tune on the tourists. We have pieces coming that I will be using to finish up the guesthouse before listing it on AirBNB for high season in December. We're also already have reservations for our house for Christmas week and New Years. We decided to go home for the holidays after discovering that our house will rent for four thousand bucks a week during the holidays.
Comments