Thinking Your Boyfriend Might Be Gay

I was going to speak today about humility. Michael Pearl has the strangest posting up at No Greater Joy about being humble that seems to boil down to trying to be humble is a prideful sin. I've been thinking about humility since, pondering how to be humble. I have a lot to say about it, but I think it boils down to putting others first, something I'm not always good at. Michael Pearl is wrong, it's never wrong to try and consider others before yourself.

Anyway, earlier today I have been cooking for the feast we're having at church tomorrow most of the day and somehow when Jim and I were talking I ended up telling him a tale that happened with my old boyfriend Tony. It was about the time I thought Tony might just be gay. Funny-ish story. I was so unaware of the gay world then, but I did pick up on some strange vibes.

Tony, like I said in an earlier piece about him, was a chemical engineer working for a big multinational company that used to send him to work around the world. For about 18 months they sent him up to New York City. Sometimes I'd join him there, for a week, for a month, once for a stretch of six months.

NYC intrigued me, a rather unsophisticated girl from South Louisiana and I loved visiting Tony there. Going to places I'd only read about, Macy's Radio City Music Hall, the Empire State Building, CBGB's. I'd go as often as I could afford it.

One Thursday night I flew in from Baton Rouge where I lived then, to Laguardia Airport. Tony was supposed to pick me up. In those long ago days of the late 70s you could walk right up to the gate to pick someone up, or to watch them depart. When I emerged I was puzzled because I didn't see Tony waiting for me. Even a little frightened.

I finally spotted him.  Tony was deep in conversation with a older man that looked so familiar, but I could not place him. The other man was toned and trim, dressed in bright lemon yellow tiny shorts, like Richard Simmons might wear, with a matching sleeveless crop top, matching tennis shoes and a headband.

While I might have been more innocent then when I walked up I was picking up the vibes, and saw this man put his hand on Tony's. Tony saw me and broken off the conversation about the same time that this man's guest arrived.

It's a good thing Twitter and Facebook didn't exist then because I would have so tweeted out, "Omg!! Langley Wallingford from 'All My Children' just tried to pick up my boyfriend!'

Found out later that the actor was from Baton Rouge and was meeting relatives. Turns out I'd been seated near his brother and spent part of the flight in conversation. I seem to remember his brother being employed by my university, LSU.

Tony did seem to attract an awful lot of gay men, and I've always wondered why.

Comments