Hiding in the Bedroom
Today didn't go quite as well as the previous days. My asthma flared up hard, but it happened because of the plumbers and our mystery pee-er of the sofa J. A.
I've had three different Tico plumbing outfits in to replace the wax gasket under the toilet in the master bath. One used too small of a gasket, and it leaked. The next guys set the gasket wrong and tried to hide their error by running a beat of silicon around the bottom. When it started leaking again I had goopy white silicon residue melting into the water and whenever I went to wipe it up with a towel it would ruin the towel. It's not like you can buy decent towels in Costa Rica anyway. It requires a special trip to Bed, Bath and Beyond in San Jose. A five hour drive that I only do once or twice a year.
The last guys did apparently put the right size gasket on, get the toilet to seal and ran some foul smelling sealant around the toilet. I started wheezing from the smell before they even left this morning.
The second asthma trigger was our neighbor J.A. He. invited himself over, like he is wont to do occasionally. Jim keeps him outside because he's a chain smoker and he knows I want no repeats of accident sofa peeing. Plus he's usually pretty drunk, and I don't handle hard core alcoholics well. I'm jumpy and nervous around them. Usually J.A. shows up, I come out and say 'hi' and retreat into my studio to paint or sew. He picks a few starfruit or grapefruit and goes on his way about an hour later. It's fine.
Today was not so fine. Today he stayed three hours, sat in the chair next to the front door and chain smoked. There must be 10 butts on the patio now.
When I emerged from the bedroom to say hi I started coughing and wheezing so I turned around, went back into the bedroom and settled in with that crazy Dr. Phil and a crochet project of a rug. Even with the AC on, two doors shut between J.A. and I his smoke kept drifting back to me, and my asthma got even worse. Nebulizer meds before putting on my nighttime VPAP mask to read book.
Let Jim know later why I disappeared and never reappeared. Going to be awkward with J.A. next time he visits because we're going to have to tell him to smoke out by the perimeter wall. Not near the house. He wants us to come over for lunch on Sunday but I cannot do that. Told Jim to go without me.
Why should Jim suffer the loss of a friendship because my lungs are crappy?
Tomorrow we must make our monthly run to Price Smart and Wal Mart, the butcher, the German baker and a million other stops. I even found a fabric store in Liberia I need to take a look at. Going to bed and hopefully will be better in the morning.
I've had three different Tico plumbing outfits in to replace the wax gasket under the toilet in the master bath. One used too small of a gasket, and it leaked. The next guys set the gasket wrong and tried to hide their error by running a beat of silicon around the bottom. When it started leaking again I had goopy white silicon residue melting into the water and whenever I went to wipe it up with a towel it would ruin the towel. It's not like you can buy decent towels in Costa Rica anyway. It requires a special trip to Bed, Bath and Beyond in San Jose. A five hour drive that I only do once or twice a year.
The last guys did apparently put the right size gasket on, get the toilet to seal and ran some foul smelling sealant around the toilet. I started wheezing from the smell before they even left this morning.
The second asthma trigger was our neighbor J.A. He. invited himself over, like he is wont to do occasionally. Jim keeps him outside because he's a chain smoker and he knows I want no repeats of accident sofa peeing. Plus he's usually pretty drunk, and I don't handle hard core alcoholics well. I'm jumpy and nervous around them. Usually J.A. shows up, I come out and say 'hi' and retreat into my studio to paint or sew. He picks a few starfruit or grapefruit and goes on his way about an hour later. It's fine.
Today was not so fine. Today he stayed three hours, sat in the chair next to the front door and chain smoked. There must be 10 butts on the patio now.
When I emerged from the bedroom to say hi I started coughing and wheezing so I turned around, went back into the bedroom and settled in with that crazy Dr. Phil and a crochet project of a rug. Even with the AC on, two doors shut between J.A. and I his smoke kept drifting back to me, and my asthma got even worse. Nebulizer meds before putting on my nighttime VPAP mask to read book.
Let Jim know later why I disappeared and never reappeared. Going to be awkward with J.A. next time he visits because we're going to have to tell him to smoke out by the perimeter wall. Not near the house. He wants us to come over for lunch on Sunday but I cannot do that. Told Jim to go without me.
Why should Jim suffer the loss of a friendship because my lungs are crappy?
Tomorrow we must make our monthly run to Price Smart and Wal Mart, the butcher, the German baker and a million other stops. I even found a fabric store in Liberia I need to take a look at. Going to bed and hopefully will be better in the morning.
Comments