Proper Mormon Usage & Drunken Foolish Folks
Right after I finished whining the other night about playing Twenty Questions with people that didn't realize how sick I was before filled with very bad health advice Jim called me. Bruce was here with his custom wood desk. Bruce drove up with it and a teeny cute Tico girl that works for him.
Get this, ancient Bruce, he's 80 if he's a day, mentally sharp but perhaps not the best healthy specimen out there. His assistant who is 80 pounds soaking wet. Jim, left arm still messed up from his surgery six months ago. Me, sneezing and wheezing. Quite the motley crew to remove a mango wood desk from his truck and carry it into the house over the 18 inch deep concrete trench around the house soon to get covered with a metal grate. Stumbling and rumbling. Shambling and rambling.
Two young men in white shirts, dark ties and pants, very clean cut looking took one look at out motley crew, and quickly came to our aid, carrying the desk in. Yes, Mormon missionaries. Turns out one of them is from California and the other one from Saint George, Utah. Very nice young men. They pretty quickly learned that we're not much interested in their religion, but they're welcome to stop by and visit any time.
This morning. Oh lawdy was I shocked out of my shoes. While I was getting dressed I got a phone call. My friend Maggie, clearly under the influence of something, ranting and raving about church and saying she was going to show up and 'kick some ass'. I somehow managed to talk her off that ledge, but I have to admit I was on pins and needles the entire service waiting for her to bust in and try to kick some ass.
I'd told the pastor when I got there, and he let security know to escort her out, but it's still worrying. I can see I mistook her condition this last year, knowing she was struggling, but not realizing that there were substance abuse issues going on at the same time. I am so not equipped to deal with that. Too many echos of my childhood and the adults involved in similar things.
Thanks to the evil influence of my friend Cindy I spent the afternoon crocheting tiny green iguanas to make an iguana garland for my Christmas tree. She sent me a cyber Christmas card reading "Iguana Wish You A Merry Christmas" and I just got the biggest kick out of that.
Get this, ancient Bruce, he's 80 if he's a day, mentally sharp but perhaps not the best healthy specimen out there. His assistant who is 80 pounds soaking wet. Jim, left arm still messed up from his surgery six months ago. Me, sneezing and wheezing. Quite the motley crew to remove a mango wood desk from his truck and carry it into the house over the 18 inch deep concrete trench around the house soon to get covered with a metal grate. Stumbling and rumbling. Shambling and rambling.
Two young men in white shirts, dark ties and pants, very clean cut looking took one look at out motley crew, and quickly came to our aid, carrying the desk in. Yes, Mormon missionaries. Turns out one of them is from California and the other one from Saint George, Utah. Very nice young men. They pretty quickly learned that we're not much interested in their religion, but they're welcome to stop by and visit any time.
This morning. Oh lawdy was I shocked out of my shoes. While I was getting dressed I got a phone call. My friend Maggie, clearly under the influence of something, ranting and raving about church and saying she was going to show up and 'kick some ass'. I somehow managed to talk her off that ledge, but I have to admit I was on pins and needles the entire service waiting for her to bust in and try to kick some ass.
I'd told the pastor when I got there, and he let security know to escort her out, but it's still worrying. I can see I mistook her condition this last year, knowing she was struggling, but not realizing that there were substance abuse issues going on at the same time. I am so not equipped to deal with that. Too many echos of my childhood and the adults involved in similar things.
Thanks to the evil influence of my friend Cindy I spent the afternoon crocheting tiny green iguanas to make an iguana garland for my Christmas tree. She sent me a cyber Christmas card reading "Iguana Wish You A Merry Christmas" and I just got the biggest kick out of that.
Comments