Backed Up, Shooken Up and Keeping on Trucking
Well, shoot, we were scheduled to go sailing today but had to cancel. I threw my stupid back out again without one clue how. I was unpacking the roughly ten boxes marked "Office" that have been languishing in the sewing room closet until Jim's desk set up and file cabinets arrived. We had our pal Bruce make them.
I know a lot of folks at church get custom made furniture at a local interior design shop. We don't, we get Bruce to make our stuff and he rebuilt our old beloved furniture. What's wonderful about Bruce that's' not so wonderful about the interior design shop I will not name is that his stuff is unique, one of a kind handmade. Which appeals to me. I am all about the handmade, always have been.
That other place? Nope, their stuff is from a factory rolled off without any differences between the pieces. Same with the high end French imported place. If I'm buying new here I want something that is one of a kind. That's how I roll.
Remember my small guanacaste wood desk a few weeks ago? Bruce.
That's live edge wood with gnarls and holes. I love it. Spare me from generic things please! That's about a six or seven foot long half of a picture window in our bedroom, and I have the most beautiful view ever overlooking the palm trees, fruits trees and bird bath with the mountains in the background. I live on the narrow strip of land between the crocodile lagoon/beach and the mountains. The birds I see right from my desk are pretty amazing, Mot Mots, Magpie Jays, a variety of parrots and parakeets and more. If one has to have sick days it's still an amazing place to bird watch from my leather and mahogany rocking chair.
The back has been bad today and yesterday. I'm shambling and rambling around. When I got to church and told the pastor it was a solid no on singing on worship team or attending the yearly church sailing trip I wasn't the only one cancelling. Gary had to cancel too. He said something rather simple and profound that touched me. He said if he could not go then there was a reason, a good God given reason.
I was glad to think of it that way, because I felt pretty guilty cancelling out at the last minute for Jim. But I learned later that Jim wasn't nearly as enthusiastic about the sailing trip as I. He was happy to be home watching his football games. I didn't know. I do know I am not missing the terrible nausea I get at sea no matter how much dramamine I take.
Had been worried about the trip anyway. Last three days we've been experiencing a rare 'cold' front moving through, dropping the temps into the 70s at night and making everyone here huddle in sweaters. The seas were predicted to be rough and they were warning people flying in the tiny tree topper airlines that it might not be good flying weather.
Se we stayed home. As I was rummaging through the cupboards to find a jar of olives to make a pseudo-muffeletta around 1 pm we heard a loud roaring rumbling and the entire house shook fiercely. We got a 5.0 earthquake very near here, nearly to Santa Cruz. Two rumbling aftershocks happened shortly thereafter. I would not be surprised if we don't get aftershocks for days and weeks afterward.
I don't think it did any real damage to the house, but I didn't check every room for earthquake cracks. We had to patch a number of them when painting the bedrooms.
Jim's still watching football, and I've been doing laundry and sitting in my rocker making Irish lace for a project I am working on.
Tomorrow another trip to Liberia to get the car worked on. I'm dropping off my second Singer to get fixed and showing off my latest quilt to the ladies at the big fabric store. I used blender fabrics from their store. Hope the back is better then. It was better this evening, right up until I got up and started scrubbing out the trashcans.
I know a lot of folks at church get custom made furniture at a local interior design shop. We don't, we get Bruce to make our stuff and he rebuilt our old beloved furniture. What's wonderful about Bruce that's' not so wonderful about the interior design shop I will not name is that his stuff is unique, one of a kind handmade. Which appeals to me. I am all about the handmade, always have been.
That other place? Nope, their stuff is from a factory rolled off without any differences between the pieces. Same with the high end French imported place. If I'm buying new here I want something that is one of a kind. That's how I roll.
Remember my small guanacaste wood desk a few weeks ago? Bruce.
That's live edge wood with gnarls and holes. I love it. Spare me from generic things please! That's about a six or seven foot long half of a picture window in our bedroom, and I have the most beautiful view ever overlooking the palm trees, fruits trees and bird bath with the mountains in the background. I live on the narrow strip of land between the crocodile lagoon/beach and the mountains. The birds I see right from my desk are pretty amazing, Mot Mots, Magpie Jays, a variety of parrots and parakeets and more. If one has to have sick days it's still an amazing place to bird watch from my leather and mahogany rocking chair.
The back has been bad today and yesterday. I'm shambling and rambling around. When I got to church and told the pastor it was a solid no on singing on worship team or attending the yearly church sailing trip I wasn't the only one cancelling. Gary had to cancel too. He said something rather simple and profound that touched me. He said if he could not go then there was a reason, a good God given reason.
I was glad to think of it that way, because I felt pretty guilty cancelling out at the last minute for Jim. But I learned later that Jim wasn't nearly as enthusiastic about the sailing trip as I. He was happy to be home watching his football games. I didn't know. I do know I am not missing the terrible nausea I get at sea no matter how much dramamine I take.
Had been worried about the trip anyway. Last three days we've been experiencing a rare 'cold' front moving through, dropping the temps into the 70s at night and making everyone here huddle in sweaters. The seas were predicted to be rough and they were warning people flying in the tiny tree topper airlines that it might not be good flying weather.
Se we stayed home. As I was rummaging through the cupboards to find a jar of olives to make a pseudo-muffeletta around 1 pm we heard a loud roaring rumbling and the entire house shook fiercely. We got a 5.0 earthquake very near here, nearly to Santa Cruz. Two rumbling aftershocks happened shortly thereafter. I would not be surprised if we don't get aftershocks for days and weeks afterward.
I don't think it did any real damage to the house, but I didn't check every room for earthquake cracks. We had to patch a number of them when painting the bedrooms.
Jim's still watching football, and I've been doing laundry and sitting in my rocker making Irish lace for a project I am working on.
Tomorrow another trip to Liberia to get the car worked on. I'm dropping off my second Singer to get fixed and showing off my latest quilt to the ladies at the big fabric store. I used blender fabrics from their store. Hope the back is better then. It was better this evening, right up until I got up and started scrubbing out the trashcans.

Comments