Cue Calliope Music or Yakkety Sax

We have had quite the day. Parking today in front of Banco Nacional in Nicoya this morning.

This morning proved one thing, that Jim and I are the most ineffectual criminal types ever. We're the Apple Effing Dumpling Gang. I shook every time we saw a cop. It must be a hang over from being raised Catholic, but whenever I see a cop I automatically feel guilty, even if I'm done nothing wrong.

We had to take our friend's jalopy back to get inspected for Retive again. The Retive is expired, and much of the major roads are crawling with cops, lousy with law enforcement. The stick is dead-dead, and the car needed major work.

I was freaking out about it after talking to our lawyer last week. He told us that merely driving around in a car with expired Retive and getting stopped means they'd impound the car and only the owner could get it out, at about the costs of three hundred. We talked to our Canadian friend, and he said to do it.

The first set of cops was less than two blocks from our house. I was turning into the main highway here when transito policia with all the equipment to set up a road block rolled past. I could see the officer eyeballing my license plate, and then the other car, without realizing there was a dead inspection sticker.

The second set of transitos were doing the same thing, while yawning and setting up to do plate checks, not even looking at the inspection stickers.

We got it to the shop, paid the man half the funds to fix it and hope to pick it up tomorrow with a new inspection sticker. It's quite a ride between here and the mechanic and Retive in Nicoya. I don't know how we weren't busted. I hate skirting about the edges of the law. I'd be a terrible criminal.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids