Is NLQ Vyckie Garrison's Personal Piggy Bank?

 So some rather idiotic drama has gone down, and yes, it involves Vyckie Garrison for once.

Let's recap. I took over No Longer Quivering ten years ago from Vyckie Garrison because she was unable to keep posting. I appreciated that, and I've worked steadily on it all these years. I did it not for the money because truthfully there was little, but because I had a passion to expose the seamy underbelly of a cult faith.

I decided to put NLQ in inactive mode at Patheos November 1st, 2020 because it was just time. Ten years is a long time to keep doing the same thing. There have been some scary individuals lately from the NIFB that have issues some very specific threats towards me that nudged along that decision.

Five or six years ago I started to hear from people I know through NLQ that they'd given Vyckie money to set up the Take Heart Foundation, or for this or that, and she'd never once followed through on what the money was for. No one knows where those funds went. I knew the people telling these tales well enough to see how hurt they were, and how likely their stories were true. Made the decision at that point to quietly remove just about every trace of Vyckie from No Longer Quivering.

Now, I am rarely hearing from Vyckie in the meantime. It has also dawned on my that her 'visit' with me years before had merely been to give herself a cover story with her male companion back in Nebraska. While she spent the week with another man. A booty call.  Other things happened too that I found myself less willing to let slide. My husband urged me to tell her how uncomfortable I was by some of her doings. But I did not.

Two or three years ago Vyckie popped up, asking me to set up and run various Go Fund Me fundraisers for her so she could leave her new husband and get a divorce. I said no. I'd run a fundraiser for her the year they voted her "Atheist of the Year" and raised twenty two thousand dollars, blood, sweat and tears, and she was rather ungrateful, complaining she had to pay taxes on it. I swore I'd never lift another finger to help her again after that. So that's where my no was coming from. From years of dealing with her wanting money. She used to ask me to give her money on the few months I got decent pay at NLQ too.

I've held my tongue all these years over all of these things, thinking they were just more dirty water under the bridge. People have accused me of finger-wagging over Vyckie's international move to Albania. Yes I did. Why? Because I've done international moves, more than once, and understand the difficulty and reality of taking such a step. I could see how ill thought out her move was, and where she was believing some fantasy of her own instead of the reality of Albania spelled out by the State Department. I was upset, thinking she would likely be exploited. I was annoyed with her but still scared for her at the same time. I explained why I thought it was a very bad idea and left it at that.

Several days ago I see that Vyckie is posting photos and posts on the main Facebook page for No Longer Quivering, a page whose main purpose was to promote the posts on Patheos and to have a community place for supporters to hang out. Not a personal blog for Vyckie. I did what I should have done when I shuttered NLQ. I removed the pages immediately.

Yesterday Vyckie restored the pages and booted me out. Yes, she removed me from something I'd worked hard on for ten long years while she was flying around to speak at atheist conferences. It was a slap in the face like no other.

Beware! How much longer before she sets up another set of Go Fund Mes and links them there. Last year I believe she has something like six or seven going at one time. This has to stop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids