Mono Borracho!
Not my original photo, this popped up on one of the Costa Rica humor pages. I sometimes tell the joke of how the howler monkeys got white balls, but am not at all sure of the why.
Jim and I didn't get a lot done today. He has some few errands, he took a nap. I did a quick and nasty design job, turned down a regular gig, and worked on getting the twice yearly submission of all things medical. Did a couple of videos.
We decided to catch the early Happy Hour at a local restaurant. It's a restaurant I have not returned to for four years because it felt incredibly unsafe to have a cocaine dealer leaning over our table trying to sell Jim of all people a boatload of coke and ladies of the night. I remembered that the food was pretty mediocre too, frozen everything deep fried in dirty smoky grease.
There was no one lurking over us this time urging us to buy their "cocainia" or chicas. Yes, yes, the place has the same sort of substandard fry the hell out of everything menu, but with a few new important inclusions. A few vegan options, one I had that was decent. Jim, ever the sports bar purist, went with the wings from "Boo-faa-Loooow" This is how the Spanish speaking ESPN announcers announce Buffalo.
The fun part about eating at sidewalk fronted restaurants is that you see a positive buttload of folks you know, strolling on by mixed in with the tourist hordes. They stop, tell you about what they're up to, want to know what you're up to before moving along, melting back into the crowds. Saw a lot of folks I knew.
One of which was a very tipsy local friend, an American whose been here so many years now. He used to own a local business when we first got here, and has been insanely helpful and rather lavishly free with his good advice. He came and sat with us and had more vino. At first I thought he was merely tired, but after he started explaining his newest project it was obvious he was sloshed as hell. I love my friends, I love my sloshed friends. We had a good time before we drove him home. I'd never seen him like that, and had wondered how he was staying busy since he sold his business.
I love to people watch too, and tonight brought some interesting characters. The most intriguing was a girl who had series of completely unrelated tattoos marching down her butt and down her legs. She'd cut out the butt cheeks on her jean shorts to show off the tattoos. I kept trying to parse what the tattoos meant but it seemed so random.
Comments