Rude Awakenings

 

Squeezing past the rocks at the end of Playa Grande to access Playa Ventanas

It's been sort of rough here since Monday. What happened Monday? The morning went well, we ran a few errands before returning to take a nap. The entire time we were out and about someone started bugging us that they wanted to use our hot tub, right now! Told them let us get home and get everything done. In other words, don't call us, we'll call you. 

We had just laid down when this person called, nope it wasn't ancient Velma, slayer of automatic gates via car, it was someone entirely new. I mean, we've known this lady a long time, she's of a certain age and was unceremoniously dumped by a boyfriend, which seems to have been the catalyst for some weird behaviors. She called to say she was driving over, even after I told her we were napping.

Jim, ever loving, good, friendly, too nice guy, greeted Sandy when she showed up. I had other stuff to do so I didn't come out for one very long time. While I was in the laundry room feeding the cats I noticed outside (every room in the house, even the laundry room has those 12 foot picture windows) something strange. Jim had sidled over to between the water tower and the faucet to get the hose to water my gingers and the banana tree. Our uninvited guest Sandy had gotten out of the hot tub facing Jim.

It was curious watching her body language, Sandy, of a certain age that will not see 60 again, twirling her hair around one finger, standing hip shot, openly batting her eyelashes. Hot? Well, Jim said after she lost her boyfriend that he thinks she might have trouble attracting another male companion because he thought she was.. er.... erm......uh... unfortunate looking. 

I knew from watching that he was unaware she was trying to flirt with him, speaking in that awful breathy little girl voice. He never recognizes flirting, going back to when we were dating. I've seen this attempted unsuccessfully before on him, and later he moans out "What flirting? Wha??" He is just very dense about some things, this is one.

For some reason I was super pissed, not just a little miffed, but tear Sandy's head off angry. So I did what a girl does, I came out of that laundry room and attacked Jim for a long laundry list of things that had nothing to do with Sandy. Couldn't yell at Sandy, had to yell at someone. After I stomped around watering flowers with my nose in the air behaving like the coldest witch on the planet Sandy finally took the hint and left.

I had to apologize to Jim and point out it was really Sandy I was mega mad at, more than him. Typically he does not think she was flirting. About an hour later I started wheezing. Figures. I am learning that extreme anger like that is an early warning sign asthma is on its way, bad asthma.

Was Sandy really flirting with Jim, or was I just pissed off that she was so insistently obnoxious about showing up when we were ready for downtime? I don't know.

Tuesday was lost. I got up at ten am, still asthmatic, fully medded and was back in the bed by 2 pm, sleeping until 8 pm, up until midnight. 

Today was marginally better, no asthma, but one very long walk on Playa Grande, tacos, shopping, returning home around 5 pm. We're both a little sunburned, something that rarely happens. One quite odd moment today was I was walking in the surf and something big and round slammed into the leg. It was a sand dollar. Weirdest way to collect a palm sized sand dollar yet. Maybe payment from the universe for a few crappy days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids