Belssed

 

Feeling pretty belssed right now. Even in the heat, the dust and the copious wildfires. Oh, the wildfires you would not believe them. Every year during dry season someone burning leaves gets out of hand and large swathes have been known to burn. Right now it's in the mountains above Hernandez, not far from Avellanas. Smelled and witnessed it the other day at twilight as we rode back from Santa Cruz and the credit union/co-op. Hanging around between the beach and the road. It creates some magnificent sunsets. The more smoke and dust, the prettier the sunset. Like this:

or this:


 

The air was horrid that day. I'm always darting out to get spectacular sunsets even in the dust/smoke if the asthma's not so bad. See the panga boats anchored just offshore? To get out to the big sailboats and cruisers. 

I've been in the best mood I've felt in I swear it's been three years, maybe even four. The summer I came back and discovered the person feeding our cats had been giving out the keys willy-nilly to everyone and they pretty much destroyed the house. That day coming home and seeing someone had used most of the supplies in my studio, the mess, the jumbled array of things that took me a full year to fully find. I'd jump scare, then cry every time I discovered some new very weird thing, like my husband's underwear stuffed in a basket I usually keep a rainbow of crocheted throws. It was so incredibly disheartening, I felt beat down emotionally because it was a neighbor I trusted, even though every single time I look back I realize she negged me in every conversation. I was just trying to get along with everyone here at the time. Her perfidy broke me. This was the US trip I fell down the stairs of the plane and tore my right bicep. I was nursing a ripped muscle and a broken heart.

Yesterday I was swimming in the morning after doing a little gardening. Planting potatoes. As I swam I saw a flock of macaws raiding the little honey mango trees, and saw the momma and baby monkey pairs napping in the Matapalo tree next to the pool. For the first time in forever I realized how great my life here, that I'm living in a way that was simply not possible on our retirement in the States. Swimming with monkeys and parrots overhead. It does not get better than that.

Coming to that realization anew even colored today. I scrubbed windows and ceilings, two tasks that had gone by the wayside during the husband's cancer treatments and all the trudging back and forth to take care of my momma, the very wilding out Miss Bottomless Betty. Soon I will go back and sell the house on the golf course of the local country club, and the fancy car. Have St. Vincent de Paul come get the rest. It's just stuff. Lord knows I have enough stuff already. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids