If It's Not One Thing It's Vacation

 We spent most of last week on vacation. Figured we needed some days away before we head to Louisiana for the final things to do for my mother. It was good and bad at the same time.

A rare photograph of the Arenal Volcano completely exposed. Many times it's ringed in smoke. Not this time.

The drive was fine. We stopped for pastries at the German bakery before arriving at the usual place we stay, a hotel on the mountain above the Arenal Waterfall looking out at the volcano and Cerro Chatto. We pulled up into the parking lot and the parking lot was gone, just a small amount of gravel to park on. At first I was upset because sitting on the huge pool deck reading was one of my favorite things to do there, but they are rebuilding much more nicely this starting to look shabby hotel. Turns out they tore down the hotel and are rebuilding it, with, get this, 6 count 'em 6 handicapped accessible rooms too. That's amazing. Most hotels do not have that capacity!

None of this affected us as we stayed where we always stay, in the villa at the very top of the mountain. One of my all time favorite places on earth. The villa is all windows floor to ceiling and you see an enormous amount of wild animals and birds right in the villa.


 Yeah, got my thumb in this one

Day one straight back to the chocolate shop, the downtown park followed by a day at the hot springs place we always go to. A day spent going from the pool with water temps in the 60s to the pools over a 100 degrees. You come away exhausted but relaxed to a level I've rarely experienced. This place.


 

We puttered around Arenal for a few more days, soaking, eating chocolate, driving around. The morning we left we ended up at the place that had bought our favorite hotel and was rebuilding it - Mistico Hanging Bridges. Went by to check them out with an eye towards visiting family and friends. It was beautiful...


 


....and it's not for me at all. Here's what I found out the hard way that I'm going to whine copiously about on my Mast Cell Block Tango blog. Post stroke no balance + hanging suspension bridge + other people = falling down a whole lot. On the bridge the weight of the large group of Japanese tourists behind us was making the bridge sway and roll while I kept grasping at the hand rails, falling, catching myself to take another step forward and lather, rinse, repeat. This was their shortest bridge and it seemed like it was at last a good hundred yards long. As much as I hate to do it, but the next time I visit this place I will be reserving one of the mobility scooters. I prefer to walk, but I prefer no falling at all! The guy there told us that the walk to the garden was ten minutes. Wrong, much longer and with extreme up and down hills. I was in bed much of yesterday to recover from all this.

But things improved on the way home. We ran into the coatimundi hordes.


 My day is always better with coatimundis in it. The ones that cross our property are afraid of people. Not these guys. Is that me feeding them next to the do not feed the coatimundi sign? Surely not


 I came home to the delivery of my new sewing machine. My old Bernina has a burned out computer screen and I cannot get it fixed here. So I got a Jenomi, all metal inner works unlike my works sometimes all plastic Singer. It's a tanzanite blue color and has pictures of cats all over it. I have a pile of quilts waiting to be quilted, weeeee...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Ancient History With a Crystal Ball