Sadness, Death, Money and Pee

A kind of rough couple of days. Yesterday we went to close on our house in Virgina. As of yesterday morn we are no longer property owners in the United States.

I have had problems emotionally letting go of our house. We raised our kids there. I planted and grew a small orchard and large garden. We cooked, cleaned, laughed, and loved there. My kids growth is still charted in pencil on the drywall of the garage. I loved my home deeply and didn't want to get rid of it.

We tried rental. It was a disaster.

If I could have done what I wanted I would have kept the house and gone back and forth between here and there. But, I knew that wasn't practical.

My house here is quite nice, .. It's much larger, I have a bigger pool and a covered patio with as much square footage as the  Virginia home. It just does not feel like home yet.

The sick sad large amount of money is already in our bank accounts, preparing to be moved here to be put in a Banco Nacional CD.

But it still hurts.

It didn't help this afternoon that one of my adult children contacted me this afternoon to talk about the death of one of her coworkers. She's upset. It is the first time one of her friends and coworkers, someone that was in  her life daily passed away. It's a tough reality to face.

As a mom I hope I said the right thing, but I was struggling because I am still struggling with my emotions over selling our family home.This is one of the awkward things about  being a parent, those situations when there is no clearly defined right thing to say, so you grope along blindly hoping you don't sound stupid, or shallow, or uncaring. Wanting to help your child feel better in a bad time.

Losing that first friend or coworker in your twenties is a shocking time. I remember when I was in my early twenties in college and working at a jewelry store. One of the jewelry repair guys in the back, who'd been complaining for a few days about a headache and not feeling right dropped dead at work. He had meningitis, whichmeant that the health dept. shut the entire store down for a few days while giving everyone that worked there drugs to hopefully prevent contracting the disease. I remember how broken up I was over that death. I cried for days,  even if I wasn't close to the guy. It was a shock of my ideas of life, death and age.

On a more humorous note we still do not have the iguana captured. But I think I did solve the mystery of the pee under the sofa. No doubt that the pee on the kitchen counter was iguana, but I think, just maybe, the pee under the sofa was from a recent visitor, a crazy elderly neighbor named J.A. He visited, and I noticed he had a pee stain, like a wet mark on his pants before leaving. He drinks, he toddles around and does not make a whole lotta sense, ranting about the wonders of Trump and his hatred of feminists. I found the pee puddle after he left right where he'd been sitting on the sofa. The sofa reeks. Guess who's steam cleaning the sofa tomorrow after running into town to get a steam cleaner.

It is in the sofa. Ain't no iguanas been climbing the sofa to perch on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids