And They Called it Puppy Love
Yesterday morning when I got up I was pretty bummed out. I'd spent most of the night thinking about that poor little puppy. In tears during breakfast talking to Jim about the situation.
Once Jim went away to Bible study I looked up the animal rescue people here I'd had contact with and called them about the puppy. They agreed to take it if we couldn't keep it.
But when Jim came home he told me that he'd persuaded our friend to call up his housekeeper and find out about the puppy. According to her the puppy is eating and drinking and behaving normally. I wasn't aware that it was nearly two months old because of the small size.
The animal rescue people are going to see if they can intervene and help out with some of the issues this poor dog will face as it grows. Starting with treating for mange first.
To me that is one of the very difficult bits here. The way animals are sometimes treated here. You're talking about a population of people who are too poor to properly take care of themselves, much less defenseless animals.
Fortunately it's not everyone here. It's been my experience living in Guanacaste that the farmers do a fantastic job caring for their horses and cattle. Yesterday I saw the sweetest thing. A farmer preparing to take his two cows across the road. They worn only the thinnest twine through the rings in their noses. They were both big and powerful enough to trample the farmer and break that twine with one toss of their heads. But they did not, they stood placidly by the side of the road as the farmer rubbed their heads and waited for traffic to ease. Lovely healthy with very shiny coats.
Even the tourist beach ponies here look better than in many places.
Once Jim went away to Bible study I looked up the animal rescue people here I'd had contact with and called them about the puppy. They agreed to take it if we couldn't keep it.
But when Jim came home he told me that he'd persuaded our friend to call up his housekeeper and find out about the puppy. According to her the puppy is eating and drinking and behaving normally. I wasn't aware that it was nearly two months old because of the small size.
The animal rescue people are going to see if they can intervene and help out with some of the issues this poor dog will face as it grows. Starting with treating for mange first.
To me that is one of the very difficult bits here. The way animals are sometimes treated here. You're talking about a population of people who are too poor to properly take care of themselves, much less defenseless animals.
Fortunately it's not everyone here. It's been my experience living in Guanacaste that the farmers do a fantastic job caring for their horses and cattle. Yesterday I saw the sweetest thing. A farmer preparing to take his two cows across the road. They worn only the thinnest twine through the rings in their noses. They were both big and powerful enough to trample the farmer and break that twine with one toss of their heads. But they did not, they stood placidly by the side of the road as the farmer rubbed their heads and waited for traffic to ease. Lovely healthy with very shiny coats.
Even the tourist beach ponies here look better than in many places.
Comments