Sad, Happy, Sad and Sweaty
Today was filled as usual with ups and downs.
A down that turned into an up. Sometime a few months ago we had people in the house caulking and repainting the ceilings. One of the painters went into my closet while painting the ceiling, opened the closet, opened the small drawer at the bottom, got into the box I had hidden my jewelry in, and took a number of items. One of those items was my wedding ring, the engagement ring and ring guard, custom designed I'd had for the past almost 34 years.
Most of the other stolen items save for the other ring, tanzanite, diamonds and platinum, were small potatoes. A pried out of the setting blue lapis, a small emerald pendant with a poorly colored emerald, a very small diamond and tanzanite pendent, a garnet pendent.
He left a dematoid garnet necklace likely worth more than the house, a complete set of 10mm Mikimoto pearls I've had forever, a set of alexandrite and diamond earrings, a set of pink sapphire and diamond earrings, a set of ruby earrings over over a carat each and assorted other gemstone earrings and pendants. I know all of this sounds obsessive, but you have to understand much of this is inherited jewelry from my great grandmother, some brought from France by her mother.
Now everything left with the exception of the amethyst jewelry and pink sapphires and the jasper and pearl earrings are locked in a safety deposit box in the bank here. I have to retrieve my better pieces if I want to wear them. Through the years I've had some reset, some need resetting, like the large over a carat emerald earrings where one of the emeralds is cracked. I will have it made into a pendent or a right hand ring.
New ring, garnet earrings and amethyst earrings. Only piece I am keeping here with a few others. Hopefully karma will let me keep these.
So today we went into town to pick up a friend and I got a new wedding ring! Instead of a round European cut diamond just under a carat I have a much larger cushion cut surrounded by smaller diamonds. I am agog! I feel like a spoiled princess tonight. Went with platinum setting instead of gold this time. I never dreamed the day would come when tight with a buck Jim would spring for a ring like that. I feel married again with a proper ring.
Jim's suffering mightily with a cold, but we'd agreed eons ago to pick up our snowbird friend Bryce from the airport. After buying the ring, getting a few things at other stores we arrived at the airport just in time for his flight.
It was so great to see him again, and we rapidly drove back to Tama. Here's where it gets very sad again. Bryce wanted to stop by his Tico friend's house. They'd been taking care of his dog for six months. Bryce left money for medicines, vet visits and food for the dog. He returned to find the dog with mange, and a month old puppy.
It's the puppy that is breaking my heart, and I'm not even a dog person. Strictly cat lady. The puppy has a deformed leg, and something wrong with the size of it's head. Pitiful and pitifully yipping and wobbling around. Bryce took one look at his dog and this tiny pup and said "Nope! Not taking any puppy!" and departed with his dog, his nursing mother dog.
I cannot get that poor whimpering puppy out of my mind now. I've been talking to Jim about going back and getting it. Likely it will not survive, but taking it to my vet and a little TLC it might have a fighting chance. I haven't ever hand raised a puppy, but I'd done foster care and rescue of kittens for many years. How different could this be?
If I cannot persuade Jim I'm hoping to get the rescue folks out there tomorrow to pick up the puppy. I doubt I'm going to get much sleep tonight thinking about that puppy.
One thing I know is that I am a big believer in karma, universal reciprocity. When we got to Bryce's home, not too far from ours, his renter had trashed the place and absconded with his car and some of the furniture. I don't know for sure which way that karma is cutting, towards Bryce for his lack of animal love and care abandoning his dog for six months and the whole puppy thing, or if he's now managed to be on the plus side because of being ripped off.
That's another reason I am not too angry over the disappearance of my jewelry. It's just stuff. This is a desperately poor place, and the young Nica painter that took the stuff had a greater need of the money than I did. It kind of changes your perspective when you see how great the needs around you are. I'm likely to never wear any of that junk again anyway, well besides my wedding ring and purple earrings.
Maybe I've done enough shitty things in my lifetime to have earned a karmic realignment via the theft. I just don't know. I hope that young man got a good price for it all and the money helped him. The funny part of it all was that I was starting to wonder if I should have insisted on a new stone for my wedding ring. We used the diamond from the engagement ring my late father gave my mother. I'd been wondering if perhaps the it would have carried negative energy all this time.
A down that turned into an up. Sometime a few months ago we had people in the house caulking and repainting the ceilings. One of the painters went into my closet while painting the ceiling, opened the closet, opened the small drawer at the bottom, got into the box I had hidden my jewelry in, and took a number of items. One of those items was my wedding ring, the engagement ring and ring guard, custom designed I'd had for the past almost 34 years.
Most of the other stolen items save for the other ring, tanzanite, diamonds and platinum, were small potatoes. A pried out of the setting blue lapis, a small emerald pendant with a poorly colored emerald, a very small diamond and tanzanite pendent, a garnet pendent.
He left a dematoid garnet necklace likely worth more than the house, a complete set of 10mm Mikimoto pearls I've had forever, a set of alexandrite and diamond earrings, a set of pink sapphire and diamond earrings, a set of ruby earrings over over a carat each and assorted other gemstone earrings and pendants. I know all of this sounds obsessive, but you have to understand much of this is inherited jewelry from my great grandmother, some brought from France by her mother.
Now everything left with the exception of the amethyst jewelry and pink sapphires and the jasper and pearl earrings are locked in a safety deposit box in the bank here. I have to retrieve my better pieces if I want to wear them. Through the years I've had some reset, some need resetting, like the large over a carat emerald earrings where one of the emeralds is cracked. I will have it made into a pendent or a right hand ring.
New ring, garnet earrings and amethyst earrings. Only piece I am keeping here with a few others. Hopefully karma will let me keep these.
So today we went into town to pick up a friend and I got a new wedding ring! Instead of a round European cut diamond just under a carat I have a much larger cushion cut surrounded by smaller diamonds. I am agog! I feel like a spoiled princess tonight. Went with platinum setting instead of gold this time. I never dreamed the day would come when tight with a buck Jim would spring for a ring like that. I feel married again with a proper ring.
Jim's suffering mightily with a cold, but we'd agreed eons ago to pick up our snowbird friend Bryce from the airport. After buying the ring, getting a few things at other stores we arrived at the airport just in time for his flight.
It was so great to see him again, and we rapidly drove back to Tama. Here's where it gets very sad again. Bryce wanted to stop by his Tico friend's house. They'd been taking care of his dog for six months. Bryce left money for medicines, vet visits and food for the dog. He returned to find the dog with mange, and a month old puppy.
It's the puppy that is breaking my heart, and I'm not even a dog person. Strictly cat lady. The puppy has a deformed leg, and something wrong with the size of it's head. Pitiful and pitifully yipping and wobbling around. Bryce took one look at his dog and this tiny pup and said "Nope! Not taking any puppy!" and departed with his dog, his nursing mother dog.
I cannot get that poor whimpering puppy out of my mind now. I've been talking to Jim about going back and getting it. Likely it will not survive, but taking it to my vet and a little TLC it might have a fighting chance. I haven't ever hand raised a puppy, but I'd done foster care and rescue of kittens for many years. How different could this be?
If I cannot persuade Jim I'm hoping to get the rescue folks out there tomorrow to pick up the puppy. I doubt I'm going to get much sleep tonight thinking about that puppy.
One thing I know is that I am a big believer in karma, universal reciprocity. When we got to Bryce's home, not too far from ours, his renter had trashed the place and absconded with his car and some of the furniture. I don't know for sure which way that karma is cutting, towards Bryce for his lack of animal love and care abandoning his dog for six months and the whole puppy thing, or if he's now managed to be on the plus side because of being ripped off.
That's another reason I am not too angry over the disappearance of my jewelry. It's just stuff. This is a desperately poor place, and the young Nica painter that took the stuff had a greater need of the money than I did. It kind of changes your perspective when you see how great the needs around you are. I'm likely to never wear any of that junk again anyway, well besides my wedding ring and purple earrings.
Maybe I've done enough shitty things in my lifetime to have earned a karmic realignment via the theft. I just don't know. I hope that young man got a good price for it all and the money helped him. The funny part of it all was that I was starting to wonder if I should have insisted on a new stone for my wedding ring. We used the diamond from the engagement ring my late father gave my mother. I'd been wondering if perhaps the it would have carried negative energy all this time.

Comments