Smokey the Turkey
So I went. I went to the 'Millionaires Picnic' this afternoon after a morning of misery.
The plumber showed up to replace the plastic dryer vent hose like contraption of the bathroom sink with real pipes. There's just one problem, the same one every time they work on plumbing and other things here. The awful stinky petrochemical based solvents, glues and silicon grouting. I reacted, had to don my hepa filter and chugalug the drugs before I was even done with coffee.
I went to hide in my studio and sew, but reacted to the oil I had to use to lube up the sewing machine. It was just one of those I cannot freaking win mornings. Coffee and nebulizers and pills oh my!
Took a lunchtime nap from the drugs and awoke in a panic. Jim and I had been fighting in my dream. What were we fighting over? The Pythagorean Theory. The funny of that is that I had to stop and look it up after the dream because I didn't remember enough math to remember what it actually was. I don't know what brought that on.
Jim spent the entire day and night up in the bed. He's sick, but it's a vague "I don't feel well and my stomach hurts" kind of a thing. He thinks he drank too much eggnog, but I'm a little worried that it's something to do with his lone kidney. The times he's had kidney stones/kidney failure it's started with this vague not feeling right and laying up in the bed before morphing into a crisis. I hope I am wrong because San Jose is a five hour ambulance ride from here.
So I went to the ridiculously expensive fundraiser Thanksgiving dinner alone, and left Jim in the bed munching on Saltines and candied ginger nuggets. Interestingly enough the club was just about empty. It was me, Lizzy, the gal named after yogurt, her husband and their daughter. A lot of cancellations I suspect, or people eating on the first serving at 2 pm. Not sure.
Our meal.
.
It was good. Not great. But I've rarely had a great meal here in Costa Rica. Most of the food is just too bland for me. This was freshly made, but on the bland side. Nothing that pepper and Tabasco couldn't fix. The turkey was heavily smoked. I haven't had smoked meat like that in ages. At least I didn't have to cook it or wash the ten thousand dishes involved in making it.
Eating out here is interesting. We have a lot of just 'okay' place, but nothing that I think is that tasty. People rave about the food at various places where I think it's just 'meh'. I realize I'm spoiled growing up in South Louisiana eating the good stuff. In the tourist areas of the world you will find a mostly homogenized bland fare. I will say that the burger joint run by our friends is the tastiest place on the planet and the waffle shop outstanding. Everything else is that meh level.
Interestingly enough there aren't any really what I would call expensive gourmet places around here. I've seen some in Coco and down in Jaco Beach area, just not here. When we lived in Virginia we would go for special occasions to places like the Bleu Rock Inn, or the Inn at Little Washington. I'm just not finding that caliber of cuisine anywhere here. But, there is one big advantage. It's hard to be pissed off by the restaurant food here when you can go to Langosta Beach and spear fresh lobsters to cook, get hormone free beef from Nicaragua, and a huge selection of fresh fruits and vegetables here. I love to cook, and that's a good thing here.
The next few weeks will be cram packed. We have an upcoming sailing day. A few more social events and Jim has his beloved idiotic bingo.
The plumber showed up to replace the plastic dryer vent hose like contraption of the bathroom sink with real pipes. There's just one problem, the same one every time they work on plumbing and other things here. The awful stinky petrochemical based solvents, glues and silicon grouting. I reacted, had to don my hepa filter and chugalug the drugs before I was even done with coffee.
I went to hide in my studio and sew, but reacted to the oil I had to use to lube up the sewing machine. It was just one of those I cannot freaking win mornings. Coffee and nebulizers and pills oh my!
Took a lunchtime nap from the drugs and awoke in a panic. Jim and I had been fighting in my dream. What were we fighting over? The Pythagorean Theory. The funny of that is that I had to stop and look it up after the dream because I didn't remember enough math to remember what it actually was. I don't know what brought that on.
Jim spent the entire day and night up in the bed. He's sick, but it's a vague "I don't feel well and my stomach hurts" kind of a thing. He thinks he drank too much eggnog, but I'm a little worried that it's something to do with his lone kidney. The times he's had kidney stones/kidney failure it's started with this vague not feeling right and laying up in the bed before morphing into a crisis. I hope I am wrong because San Jose is a five hour ambulance ride from here.
So I went to the ridiculously expensive fundraiser Thanksgiving dinner alone, and left Jim in the bed munching on Saltines and candied ginger nuggets. Interestingly enough the club was just about empty. It was me, Lizzy, the gal named after yogurt, her husband and their daughter. A lot of cancellations I suspect, or people eating on the first serving at 2 pm. Not sure.
Our meal.
.
It was good. Not great. But I've rarely had a great meal here in Costa Rica. Most of the food is just too bland for me. This was freshly made, but on the bland side. Nothing that pepper and Tabasco couldn't fix. The turkey was heavily smoked. I haven't had smoked meat like that in ages. At least I didn't have to cook it or wash the ten thousand dishes involved in making it.
Eating out here is interesting. We have a lot of just 'okay' place, but nothing that I think is that tasty. People rave about the food at various places where I think it's just 'meh'. I realize I'm spoiled growing up in South Louisiana eating the good stuff. In the tourist areas of the world you will find a mostly homogenized bland fare. I will say that the burger joint run by our friends is the tastiest place on the planet and the waffle shop outstanding. Everything else is that meh level.
Interestingly enough there aren't any really what I would call expensive gourmet places around here. I've seen some in Coco and down in Jaco Beach area, just not here. When we lived in Virginia we would go for special occasions to places like the Bleu Rock Inn, or the Inn at Little Washington. I'm just not finding that caliber of cuisine anywhere here. But, there is one big advantage. It's hard to be pissed off by the restaurant food here when you can go to Langosta Beach and spear fresh lobsters to cook, get hormone free beef from Nicaragua, and a huge selection of fresh fruits and vegetables here. I love to cook, and that's a good thing here.
The next few weeks will be cram packed. We have an upcoming sailing day. A few more social events and Jim has his beloved idiotic bingo.

Comments