Like the Harper Valley PTA?
Our fleet of Joses have been continuing on tearing up our yard to put in the Tico Tennessee Valley Hydroelectric project and the beginnings of putting in the supports for the soon to arrive solar panels. They're pounding, and scraping and making an unGodly amount of noise.
I am cranky, as you plainly know from my whining yesterday about the former friend gone nuclear crazy toxic blonde firing off constant questions about the Duggars. I finally just blocked her. Let her earn her podcast pay without trying to pick my poor, pathetic, probably pickled stupid on asthma drugs brain.
Today went about like the lyrics to that silly song from the sixties, "Harper Valley PTA". After my usual rounds of housework, work-work, working on the book and going with Jim to order more concreto I was contacted by a lady I know from the church here. I've mentioned her before, Maggie. Single mother of a teen, physical therapist, and all around oddball. She's been banned from the church. Why I don't know, but I suspect she was bugging some of the more wealthy members for money.
I like Maggie. Well, I did until today. Now I'm not so sure. Why? Maggie spilled so much tea on everyone I knew it just became awful and weird very quickly.
I sat there, like a bumper-stunned deer, jaw dropped with a shocked expression on my mug, trying to figure out how to get away from her quickly lest I be dropped by a bolt of lightning by just listening to her recital. Figured it might be rude if I followed my first instincts, leapt to my feet and run screaming down the street.
Shoot, I could write the craziest of novels just using the stuff she spewed today.
Maybe she's having a moment, and I just need to let it in one ear and out of the other. Maybe not.
Some of it I laughed off, like her tales of billionaire ridiculousness. I have just seen way too much bad behavior, crazy rich white people entitlement and sheer dumbness among the rich here. I avoid many of them, but I laugh and mentally file away the funniest stories, like climbing Machine Pikachu instead of Machu Picchu.
I try to pray over the worst of it, like the lady I know whose husband is back in Thailand cavorting with sex workers. Maggie told me how the husband was cheating in Thailand, his substance of choice and various other things while I kept trying to change the subject. I knew the details, but was not even going to confirm to Maggie that I knew the lady in question. The wife is too heart broken to make this anyone's fun tittle-tattle.
What followed what a free form stream of consciousness rant involving everyone in our small insular little beach town. Then it finally came out. Turns out Maggie has lost custody of her teenager to a rich family in our town. She's claiming that others we both know, that run the local private school and medical clinic and yachts - world without end, caused this by their lies.
I'm not sure what is really going on here, but I suspect it's mental, or chemical, or out of a bottle. I hope she's not walking around like this because she sounds very out there right now, less than rational.
I kept trying to change the subject, but she kept drifting back to the multifarious wrongs others had done to her or around her. Heavy sledding. She wants to have lunch next week, but I made excuses. I only have so much outgoing-ness and I'm going to have to spend my precious few bits of that tomorrow on what I'm calling 'The Millionaires Picnic'
We're supposed to go tomorrow to a hundred dollars a plate Thanksgiving dinner out in the community to raise funds for education of the poorer kids in the community. It's likely to be about as much fun as that slow root canal for me. It's the same crowd that does bingo, and I'm only going because Jim nagged me into it. I'd rather stay home with a tv dinner, save one thing. It's a golden opportunity to witness first hand some of the odd behaviors Maggie was talking about today. I am starting to love the billionaires and the clonies because their harmless high-jinks make me laugh.
The other funny thing that happened was today I was trying to scare up a street address, or just make one up for delivery using Google Maps and discovered the oddest thing. In our tiny town our house can be easily spotted on Google Maps. Why? Now that they've updated the satellite photographs we have the biggest pool in town. Our pool is so big it shows up, big, and turquoise-gleaming in the sun on the map. Our pool is big enough to be seen from outer space. I'm feeling kind of obnoxiously billionaire-ish tonight. What a stupid claim to fame. Right up there with Machine Pikachu.
I am cranky, as you plainly know from my whining yesterday about the former friend gone nuclear crazy toxic blonde firing off constant questions about the Duggars. I finally just blocked her. Let her earn her podcast pay without trying to pick my poor, pathetic, probably pickled stupid on asthma drugs brain.
Today went about like the lyrics to that silly song from the sixties, "Harper Valley PTA". After my usual rounds of housework, work-work, working on the book and going with Jim to order more concreto I was contacted by a lady I know from the church here. I've mentioned her before, Maggie. Single mother of a teen, physical therapist, and all around oddball. She's been banned from the church. Why I don't know, but I suspect she was bugging some of the more wealthy members for money.
I like Maggie. Well, I did until today. Now I'm not so sure. Why? Maggie spilled so much tea on everyone I knew it just became awful and weird very quickly.
I sat there, like a bumper-stunned deer, jaw dropped with a shocked expression on my mug, trying to figure out how to get away from her quickly lest I be dropped by a bolt of lightning by just listening to her recital. Figured it might be rude if I followed my first instincts, leapt to my feet and run screaming down the street.
Shoot, I could write the craziest of novels just using the stuff she spewed today.
Maybe she's having a moment, and I just need to let it in one ear and out of the other. Maybe not.
Some of it I laughed off, like her tales of billionaire ridiculousness. I have just seen way too much bad behavior, crazy rich white people entitlement and sheer dumbness among the rich here. I avoid many of them, but I laugh and mentally file away the funniest stories, like climbing Machine Pikachu instead of Machu Picchu.
I try to pray over the worst of it, like the lady I know whose husband is back in Thailand cavorting with sex workers. Maggie told me how the husband was cheating in Thailand, his substance of choice and various other things while I kept trying to change the subject. I knew the details, but was not even going to confirm to Maggie that I knew the lady in question. The wife is too heart broken to make this anyone's fun tittle-tattle.
What followed what a free form stream of consciousness rant involving everyone in our small insular little beach town. Then it finally came out. Turns out Maggie has lost custody of her teenager to a rich family in our town. She's claiming that others we both know, that run the local private school and medical clinic and yachts - world without end, caused this by their lies.
I'm not sure what is really going on here, but I suspect it's mental, or chemical, or out of a bottle. I hope she's not walking around like this because she sounds very out there right now, less than rational.
I kept trying to change the subject, but she kept drifting back to the multifarious wrongs others had done to her or around her. Heavy sledding. She wants to have lunch next week, but I made excuses. I only have so much outgoing-ness and I'm going to have to spend my precious few bits of that tomorrow on what I'm calling 'The Millionaires Picnic'
We're supposed to go tomorrow to a hundred dollars a plate Thanksgiving dinner out in the community to raise funds for education of the poorer kids in the community. It's likely to be about as much fun as that slow root canal for me. It's the same crowd that does bingo, and I'm only going because Jim nagged me into it. I'd rather stay home with a tv dinner, save one thing. It's a golden opportunity to witness first hand some of the odd behaviors Maggie was talking about today. I am starting to love the billionaires and the clonies because their harmless high-jinks make me laugh.
The other funny thing that happened was today I was trying to scare up a street address, or just make one up for delivery using Google Maps and discovered the oddest thing. In our tiny town our house can be easily spotted on Google Maps. Why? Now that they've updated the satellite photographs we have the biggest pool in town. Our pool is so big it shows up, big, and turquoise-gleaming in the sun on the map. Our pool is big enough to be seen from outer space. I'm feeling kind of obnoxiously billionaire-ish tonight. What a stupid claim to fame. Right up there with Machine Pikachu.
Comments