Scary

Having some sleep issues. Passing out unintentionally too early because I've stepped up the workouts. Waking up at 10 pm all drooly and confused tangled in my too long hair. I'm just  a laugh riot!

Tempted to give myself an extreme hair cut soon or else I'll have to come up with some sort of elaborate Game of Thrones braided style. It's just too heavy, too hot and too much in my way. Up in the standard huge messy bun all the time now. I look like some deranged granny.

Yesterday was more than a little scary, and not just because my wrinkled sagging old self was on the beach in a swimsuit scaring folks either. Jim and I went for a walk on Tamarindo Beach yesterday. We've been limiting our walks to Grande, and some of the smaller more remote beaches. Jim needed a massage and I was finally able to put down the muscle relaxers from my own back hijinks and start walking again.

It was low tide and quite interesting. Like I said I've seen a very early uptick in tourist activity and crowds. Low tide was all Norte Americanos on the beach. It's just about the time the first of the Canadian snow birds start arriving.

The only problem with that is that during low tide sand bars appear just off shore. You can easily walk across from the end of Tama, at La Garita to Playa Grande. The tourists were busily annointing themselves with copious sun block and making for the sand bars.

There's just one little problem with doing just that. The signs all marked "No Swimming - Beware of Crocodiles" in three languages posted at La Garita that they were ignoring. And about once a year someone, usually  a tourist, gets bitten. One surfer four years ago lost the lower part of his leg.

I'm walking, staying off the sand bars, picking up sea urchin shells and large turkey wing shells, and just dipping my toes in the surf. As I got just past the tourist horde I spotted a weird looking patch of tangled vegetation washed to the shore in the area between the sand bar and the beach. Every now and then nostrils and eyeballs would emerge. Several smaller crocodiles lurking and hiding, mere feet away from tourists.

I had fun on the walk back saying "Hey! Did you see the crocodiles not ten yards away over there?" and watching people scrambling for the beach once they realized that floating log tangled in old sea weed had a nose and eyes.


And this is hardly the only place with crocs. I would venture to say any beach with a nearby estuary dumping into the Pacific has beaucoup crocodiles. Last week a six foot long croc was spotted openly cavorting on Playa Flamingo near the Jimmy Buffet themed hotel.

The work outs are scary. I've increased them again and am now swimming between a half mile and a mile daily and walking. Why? The MS. Those people I know with it doing the best are not the ones to get the stem cell replacement therapy, or those with the newest drugs. It's the ones that work out hard three or four times a week and follow the anti inflammation diet. I've joined them. It does help.

The problems being it hurts worse to work out while it's going on. I have the thing happening now where the pressure of the water against my chest triggers some odd nerves and I can barely tolerate the feeling. My stupid body.

We're still looking at properties to buy for the mountain home, but I think I've hit on something else here. The mountain top directly behind our house, I can see it from the house, is for sale and it has that coveted ocean view. I'm going to see if I can twist Jim's arm into considering it for our mountain home. Build a house, a custom house smaller than this one but with the things I want, a bathtub, a better kitchen, and another pool/hot tub and turn this house into the rental. It's way too big for the two of us.

Jim wants it away from here, and I kind of do too, because of the traffic in tourist season and the crowds. But a ocean view might be worth it. Be close enough to take care of anything going haywire and to check on renters.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Missed Stompism

Bottomless Betty and Blocking the Aunt Heap

Strange Days and Orchids