Wet Motorcycles, Ugly Crying and Crazy High Lows
Scabby riding Jim's motorcycle to dreamland.
This last week has been a bit nuts. We're dieting. We've been dieting the past two weeks. I ran into some problems with this. I'd finally gotten Jim to try the clean eating diet I follow strictly for two weeks before I transition into something a little less stringent. It's sugar free, very low carb and not much in the way to meat either. Lots of leafy green veggies. It's a great kickstart but I wouldn't want to live on it.
Ran into a problem this week. One night, I can't remember if it was Tuesday or Wednesday night, I developed a headache that would not lift. My stomach was rumbling and I just didn't feel right. Hauled out by blood sugar meter that I rarely use because my A1Cs have been good for a couple of years, prick myself and run the tests. Off the charts, stupid crazy high like I haven't had since I first had issues during my mrsa year. No wonder I had a headache! I could not figure it out. Usual on this diet I run on the low side of the sugar levels, not this time. I ate a banana and a slice of toast and my levels returned to almost normal.
One doctor visit later and they're saying with everything I've got going on that the diet I was on was too stringent, so I transitioned into adding a few whole grain carbs and healthy fats and I'm back to normal. I guess whatever this is combined with the new meds makes that an impossibility.
We also talked about the balance and numbness. My doctor finally admitted she's pretty sure this is MS. I gently reminded her we'd been here almost two years ago when I had a month long spate of lack of all balance, and that three months trying Neurontin and other things and several head scans they said I didn't have MS. After telling me I did. Who knows. I guess I have to wait on my appointment in San Jose in two months to know anything. In the meantime I'm on the regimen of drugs for MS.
It was a lot to take, and gave me something to think about this week. My ability to walk is now severely impeded. My balance issues got very bad on Friday for some reason.
Friday Jim went off with his friend Derwood for a full day motorcycle thing. We rarely see Derwood any longer after he left his wife. I could not help but notice that the only time we hear from him is when he needs something. This time he needed Jim to ride his motorcycle through Riteve, the inspection. turns out Derwood does not have a valid Costa Rican or American drivers license and shouldn't even been driving.
What made the trip even worse was towards nightfall we got our second evening deluge of rain. Jim drove home in it and was soaked to the skin when he came in. A miserable ride for him. I had some choice words to say over this whole adventure.
It was good because I had not slept the night before much, and I was tired. Used the day to take apart my bed and do my twice a year deep cleaning. Cleaning the plastic of the waterbed with a special coconut oil and lavender oil concoction I clear with. Washing all the pillows, mattress pad, mattress topper along with the usual sheets and comforter. Spring cleaned the bedroom hard.
It needed it after the conniption fit my body threw over the blood sugar. With all the bloody tissues it looked like Dracula's lair. My normal meter died, just as well as I cannot get the strips here. But it was one that took only the tiniest blood sample. The one here is like old ones in the States, takes a pretty big blood droplet to work. I've bled copiously from my fingertips.
Saturday we did little. It was an odd sort of the day because the internet was out until evening. It was actually wonderful in that I didn't have to see anything about a certain person at all, living in a free bubble from that roiling mess. We read, we swam, we watched television.
Sunday involved ugly crying. I got to church, was just walking in the front door when one of the board members waved at me to leave. My eyes started tearing up and I started wheezing, and then I saw the Emotional Support Poodle and it's owner. The board member said she'd get me a chair and I could sit outside and watch the service. Apparently her promises to talk to the board about what to do didn't happen.
I never had this happen with our old pastor. He saw first hand on one of our first worship team rehearsals that I popped a severe asthmatic reaction to a dog someone brought. He saw me just along on the point where I might have used my epipen and gone to the ER. He made a rule that no animals were allowed in the sanctuary. He kept that too.
It was clear she'd forgotten, and spoken to no one else. I was upset, pissed off that some tourist's pet was higher prioritized over myself, a member of the church and a human. I left without saying a word to anyone. I ugly cried in the parking lot of the Auto Mercado after going there to get a few things for lunch.
Went back to pick up a very confused Jim, who'd gone on hunt for me once the sermon started. He'd gone in ahead of me, was busy with his role and knew it was likely I might be in the kitchen helping or somewhere else. The board member told him what happened and that I had driven off. I'd also texted him about it.
I just don't know if I'll be back. I told her last week this was a problem and our old pastor had banned animals from inside the church. That should have been enough of a reason to ask the tourist to leave the dog outside. Instead of me outside. It's just my breathing, not so important, now is it?
Interestingly enough I did learn that Costa Rica has the exact same ADA accommodation laws in place here as in the States. I think I'm going to have to email the board members to discuss this.

Comments